Engine cover, with strut brace.

OLAF

Just recently bought my second Vrs, a yellow Mk1. It didn't have an engine cover fitted or supplied. I believe this is probably due to having a strut brace fitted, am I correct? Or can it be fitted with a brace fitted? If so may buy a new one. Cheers

Thanks Rob, appreciate that. Think it looks a whole lot tidier when it's hidden. May help alleviate the dreaded coil pack issues. Just need to find one now!

It's fine, it's about 5mm clear, bit of a squeeze sliding it on but once on its ok. That's with a tt brace. I like the cover so kept it on. Mind you mines not as much of a tight fit as it looks on Rob's pic.

Another thing to bare in mind, what DV is in there? I got a Forge 007 and found the hose out the top fouled underside of cover slightly as it's a bigger lump than the standard DV. Fortunately I spotted this before any damage was caused, only a very slight rub but over time...So I managed to file a groove where the rub mark was, hose now seems to sit in it nicely.

Ah. Well its got Forge 007p and BMC carbon box, so looking at Robs second picture, it may not fit after all.

Edited by OLAF

It can. It might touch and cause a rattle.

Very old photo:

DSCF0008.JPG

I am looking to add a TT brace until I realised that I might have to drill the holes myself. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Was it a worth while mod/upgrade to make?

I am looking to add a TT brace until I realised that I might have to drill the holes myself. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Was it a worth while mod/upgrade to make?

Yes. A subtle but notable difference, front end of vrs does need tightening up.  Lower brace is good too, they work well together.  Drilling holes isn't too bad, need very good drill bits (titanium coated probably the best bet, I borrowed our plumber's while he was there) and a centre punch to guide the drill in, take your time, I must have checked alignment 500 times while I was doing it, all good though.  Another thing, you have to keep the bay free from filings and clear it up PROPERLY as these bits will sit and start to rust through, I had my brace off the other day to treat some little spots that had started because of this, tidy now though.  Use M10 bolts, I think mine were 25mm long, quite short so don't stick up much, nyloc bolts, good washers and finished mine with some plastic dome caps.  Can be done very cheaply if you pick up a good quality used brace. Lower one a bit harder to find used and has price has gone up a fair bit, as it has for the rivnuts you ideally need, may be able to use everyday rivnuts but I think they need a good spread so I went OEM. 

• Like 1