Mount extra headlights

MrBart

Hello!

I am about to hide a Ledbar behind the lower grill on our Skoda Superb. And was wondering if i could hook the control power one the new relay to the 12v signal on the original headlamp. Or do i need to do something CANbus stuff?

Sorry for my bad gramar!

Regards

Hello!

A normal 12V automotive relay will draw somewhere around 150 mA current and the headlight lamp somewhere around 4500 mA. The extra current through the relay should not trigger any warnings. Someone with more knowledge of the Superb electrical system might know of a better place to get the relay control voltage? 

By the way, I wouldn't use one of those blue/red scotchlok things to splice in the relay. :no:  Do it properly, thats my advice...

Good luck!

Yep relay will be fine.  Put a flyback diode across the relay coil just to be safe.  1N4001 or 4007 will be heaps.

+1 to not using scotchlocks or those crimp joiners, use proper soldered and heat shrink connectors, or soldered spade connectors.

You can get power from the bus bar on the front of the fusebox, but you'll need an inline fuse as that bus bar doesn't have suitable protection.

Wrap wires in coroplast if you have some.

I don't know but I'd be interested in seeing how it looks and works for you.  I've to do a lot of driving on poor unlit roads and normally end up using spots but I can't bring myself to mount spots on the front of the Superb, it would look horrendous.  But lighting behind the grill would work for me.

I don't know but I'd be interested in seeing how it looks and works for you.  I've to do a lot of driving on poor unlit roads and normally end up using spots but I can't bring myself to mount spots on the front of the Superb, it would look horrendous.  But lighting behind the grill would work for me.

Yes, mine is mounted behind the grill. It looks clean.

Iv'e ordered 20inch 126w SPOT ledbar with 42pcs leds in it :P   I'm not completely satisfied. But likte you, i would not like to mount spots on the front og my Superb