Passenger airbag lamp - bad switch

Citigo2032

I had a problem with the passenger airbag lamp (Which also caused the airbag lamp to light up constantly). I thought it start blinking now and then after I had removed the radio due to some modifications with switches etc. It was not the reason.

I had my car at the dealers worksop. They counted over 200 error messages from the switch located at the passenger door.

They reset all errors without replacing this switch - at first. Told me not to use the LED aux lights for a while, and see if that would cause the problem. So I did not use these lights for a while. Then one day, this damn passenger airbag lamp lit constantly after starting the engine. So I turned off the engine, used the key to switch on and off this switch. Started the engine, and then the airbag lamp in the dash lit constantly again.%&$!

This switch is poor quality, they told me at the workshop the day after. It is the same as the one fitted in older Passat. They did know about the problem, and therfor replaced the switch and did some extra service on the wiring. Now the problem is gone.

I did not expect this to be a warranty issue since I had messed up with the radio, placing an aux-switch etc, but yes - this was covered by warranty.

So if you see the passenger airbag lamp light up now and then during driving, you may likely get to change this switch right away - and claim warranty repair.

Vidar

• Like 1

• 5 years later...