Mucky engine bay... Any way to stop muck blowing in?

crazyj

Hullo,

When I got my Yeti a few months ago (2nd hand) the engine bay was a bit mucky...no oil splatter or anything but a bit of road grit and salt ..the usual stuff. I gave a good but mechanically sympathetic clean.

It has slowly got more mucky and today when I topped up the wash fluid alongside my wife's passat (which has never seen a clean) I was struck how filthy the old girls (the yeti not the passat or indeed the wife) innards had become.

Particularly the web-space around the air filter box...looked like it had held an amount of salt water while it was evaporating...looks like it blew in under the bonnet.

Has anyone else noticed their engine bay collecting muck?

Any mileage in putting a strip of seal across above the radiator housing etc?

Cheers

J

I do this about once a month in the summer and about once a fortnight during winter if the outside tap hasn't frozen.

How to use Autoglym Engine & Machine Cleaner:

Fin

If you keep on top of it, it is.

I hoover it first to get rid off leaves and twigs, spray AG Engine Degreaser, agitate either with the supplied brush or a garden hose brush, garden hose rinse and then spray AG Rubber and Vinyl cleaner and leave to dry.

All in about 5 minutes max.

Fin

Just a little tip, on the Yeti 2012, under the front wings at the top of the wheel arch where the black weather guard is secured to the wing you will find a long slots where the fixing screws are, one at the top and the other slightly to the front.

The top slot I found allows dirt and mud to be sucked up inside the mud guard and blows up over the bonnet hing and the top of front door hing and front gap sucks dirt up into the engine compartment.

So all I did was to gut 10mm (or wider if you like) wide strips and the length of the gaps of black gaffer tape and neatly stuck them onto the wing and over the black plastic. you don't notice them unless you look under the wing.  ( the strips will also cover the screws up)

Job done,  no more dirt over the bonnet hing and the front door hinges.    

Silly I know but it is one of the things to keep the engine bay clean.

Edited by CHILLEY
  • Like 1

Just a little tip, on the Yeti 2012, under the front wings at the top of the wheel arch where the black weather guard is secured to the wing you will find a long slots where the fixing screws are, one at the top and the other slightly to the front.

The top slot I found allows dirt and mud to be sucked up inside the mud guard and blows up over the bonnet hing and the top of front door hing and front gap sucks dirt up into the engine compartment.

So all I did was to gut 10mm (or wider if you like) wide strips and the length of the gaps of black gaffer tape and neatly stuck them onto the wing and over the black plastic. you don't notice them unless you look under the wing.  ( the strips will also cover the screws up)

Job done,  no more dirt over the bonnet hing and the front door hinges.    

Silly I know but it is one of the things to keep the engine bay clean.

Sounds good...I will take a look. I had noticed splatters of water/mud over air filter housing.... Wonder these slots are the source. It was odd that the engine got more filthy than the wifes passat..

Cheers,

J