Gearbox replacement

Hi

Just wanted to know roughly how long it has takes to R & I vrs gearbox, 2 hours sound about right, I don't think they look that hard to do, also do the driveshafts have to be removed from the car or just at the box end?

I'm also planning to refurb the box I'm taking out, anyone tackled this before? Do I need any special tools to do it & is there anything I really need to pay particular attention to?

Cheers

Phil

Hi

Just wanted to know roughly how long it has takes to R & I vrs gearbox, 2 hours sound about right, I don't think they look that hard to do, also do the driveshafts have to be removed from the car or just at the box end?

I'm also planning to refurb the box I'm taking out, anyone tackled this before? Do I need any special tools to do it & is there anything I really need to pay particular attention to?

Cheers

Phil

When you say refurb the box, what do you actually have in mind to do?, as some processes may require a bearing puller or press. Devonutopia's way is the cheaper way as box parts are not cheap unless you already have a donor.

It is probably going to be a needle roller race collapsed on the mainshaft, some of these require a puller to gain access to them on the shaft. Post back when you have it stripped, or if you checkout the post in this section about down changes, I've posted a link in there to the workshop manual, so you can see for yourself. :)

It is probably going to be a needle roller race collapsed on the mainshaft, some of these require a puller to gain access to them on the shaft. Post back when you have it stripped, or if you checkout the post in this section about down changes, I've posted a link in there to the workshop manual, so you can see for yourself. :)

Ok thanks for that, doesn't sound too bad to change then, will post pics & findings

M10 spline for driveshafts cups

32 mm socket hub nut

can't think of anything more than that.

got mine out with the driveshafts on the hubs end. It required a lot of wiggling. I'd advise Pull hubs off, undo ball joints and take off the left wishbone and it will save a lot of time and will practically drop straight out then easy.

You say 2 hours, but there is a fair amount of faffage to get everything clear for you to work on it. I'd say 4 if your on axle stands