Buildings insurance

cheezemonkhai

I presume you walked away from that. 

Although it may be worth looking into further.  An ex BR site in central Leicester was contaminated with heavy metals, and "n" number of lorry loads of special clay was put on the site before construction started.  Not a membrane as I would have describe it.  But not the sort of thing you'd have to worry about sticking a garden fork through, unlike my mates radon shield. 

It could be that the over burden is naturally high in arsenic. 

Pellegrino fizzy water has or had about 4x the rda of uranium.  No wonder it brightens you up.

Good luck.

I presume you walked away from that. 

Although it may be worth looking into further.  An ex BR site in central Leicester was contaminated with heavy metals, and "n" number of lorry loads of special clay was put on the site before construction started.  Not a membrane as I would have describe it.  But not the sort of thing you'd have to worry about sticking a garden fork through, unlike my mates radon shield. 

It could be that the over burden is naturally high in arsenic. 

Pellegrino fizzy water has or had about 4x the rda of uranium.  No wonder it brightens you up.

Good luck.

Yeah it's been dealt with and correct I have not made a purchase.

As for garden, this place has a terrace, not a garden, so any veg would be in tubs.

As for the source, it used to be railway sidings, so it's from coal ash, that was deposited as the land built up.

The question I guess is would anyone buy a house like this, or is it best avoided like the plague?

Edited by cheezemonkhai

• 2 weeks later...

I take exactly the same approach as I do with car insurance. Loyalty isn't rewarded, so shop around :thumbup:

i do likewise, though for car, I've yet to find a quote to beat  AF. However, back OT, I see from TV that Swinton are offering a cheap deal on contents if you take buildings with them . but I've found the meerkats to be my friend come contents renewal.

So this may be back on after looking at the remedy and finding out there is clay, then a membrane then top soil.

To be honest it's also next to a canal that carries drinking water, so it can't be that bad or the next town down would have been poisoned through their drinking water.

What does anyone think on the remedy, would it put you off?

For me it wouldn't be does it put me off. I would be asking if it will put people off when I come to sell it. We walked away from what we thought was going to be the perfect house in a really sought after area. Downside was parking was at the rear and you had to walk up the garden with shopping etc. There was no way we were getting a dropped curb at the front. While it would have been fine for us. The next people down the line might not be so open to that idea and so you are restricting yourself when it comes to selling on. Turns out we found a perfect house in a different village and couldn't be happier and the house that we thought would be snapped up stayed on the market while other comparable properties got snapped up. If is substantially cheaper or bigger than is available (or location wise it cannot be beaten) then there is a good reason to go for it but otherwise is there something else out there? Its not a case of being picky but just making sure you get what you want. We lived with the mother in law for months just to get the place we wanted.

That was why I was asking.

Basically, how hard would it be to sell 5 years down the line.

Location wise, it's right next to town, 200 yards from the rail station, near the cricket ground and not noisy.

I guess that's why it's an option.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

As for re-sale Mark, I would look at what the surveys come back with? That's where a prospective buyer would get their info from. From what I understand though, you're not as this stage yet?

Could be worth checking with a ground survey/geotechnical company if you're seriously interested.