Car long term test on VRS

My MkIII is softer than my MKIII. By that I mean more comfortable, however it goes around corners better than the MkII, it seems less nose heavy and more pointy. Yes there's road noise I just put that down to 18 inch low profiles. It is larger but feels lighter.

Do they though? The normal Elegance comes with the cheap suspension, whereas the vRS doesn't. Ive heard the vRS actually has a more comfortable ride because of it.

What do you mean by cheap suspension? Do you mean beam vs. independent suspension?

It's dependent on the engine and or 4x4 system.

Beam suspension: 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI, 1.6 TDI, 2.0 TDI

Independent suspension: 1.4 TSI CNG, 1.8 TSI, 1.6 TDI 4x4, 2.0 TDI 4x4

• Like 1

What do you mean by cheap suspension? Do you mean beam vs. independent suspension?

It's dependent on the engine and or 4x4 system.

Beam suspension: 1.2 TSI, 1.4 TSI, 1.6 TDI, 2.0 TDI

Independent suspension: 1.4 TSI CNG, 1.8 TSI, 1.6 TDI 4x4, 2.0 TDI 4x4

Yep, that's what I mean. vRS has the independent suspension. Normal Elegance hatchback has torsion beam.

Don't get me started on ride quality, Elegance 150CR so with Torsion Beam rear set up and with 18" Golus and standard springs. Now mine is a very early build April 2013, so a MY13 which were only built until mid June 13 so its in the minority, but I'm convinced Skoda have been tweaking away since MY14 cars and later seem to get generally better but still mixed reviews. My experience of the early MQB Torsion Beam, standard sprung set up on 18s also seems to be corroborated by a quick Google on the Golf 7 forums where many owners were offered replacement dampers under warranty and generally concluded that later spec dampers resolved 90% of their issues, but SUK have flatly refused but accept that there has been any development of parts as they still fit the same basic part nos, but the last couple of digits (2 letters) are different on later builds but they won't explain what these mean! Also compared to my Superb II which was also standard springs on 18s and that was like floating on air by comparison to the crashy non compliant ride quality on my car. I've done 42k now so more qualified than most to comment, it's getting worse not better, and I just hope that something falls off while its still under warranty so I can take it to the dealer and say I told you so! Anyway, I'm over half way through my O3 ownership experience so not going to let it get me down, life's too short! Roll on the next which will be a Merc, Jag or possibly a Superb 3 but not before an extended test drive!

Edited by Matt Pez
  • Like 1

Don't get me started on ride quality, Elegance 150CR so with Torsion Beam rear set up and with 18" Golus and standard springs. Now mine is a very early build April 2013, so a MY13 which were only built until mid June 13 so its in the minority, but I'm convinced Skoda have been tweaking away since MY14 cars and later seem to get generally better but still mixed reviews. My experience of the early MQB Torsion Beam, standard sprung set up on 18s also seems to be corroborated by a quick Google on the Golf 7 forums where many owners were offered replacement dampers under warranty and generally concluded that later spec dampers resolved 90% of their issues, but SUK have flatly refused but accept that there has been any development of parts as they still fit the same basic part nos, but the last couple of digits (2 letters) are different on later builds but they won't explain what these mean! Also compared to my Superb II which was also standard springs on 18s and that was like floating on air by comparison to the crashy non compliant ride quality on my car. I've done 42k now so more qualified than most to comment, it's getting worse not better, and I just hope that something falls off while its still under warranty so I can take it to the dealer and say I told you so! Anyway, I'm over half way through my O3 ownership experience so not going to let it get me down, life's too short! Roll on the next which will be a Merc, Jag or possibly a Superb 3 but not before an extended test drive!

Have we worked out what sort of suspension is fitted to the Superb 3

Have we worked out what sort of suspension is fitted to the Superb 3

Yes, it is fully independent, so like the vRS and the S2 and O2 so should help. Also, I think there may be optional adjustable damping! There is a load of info Colin posted on the S3 forum.

Yes, it is fully independent, so like the vRS and the S2 and O2 so should help. Also, I think there may be optional adjustable damping! There is a load of info Colin posted on the S3 forum.

Yeah I saw about the adjustable damping available on some models. Now the question is- "Will it go boom boom boom"?

• Like 1

Of the last 3 cars I've run for work purposes - current vrs since October, BMW 320d touring and Mondeo 2.2 St estate. I can comfortably confirm the Mondeo (my mrs still runs the car) still has the best blend of ride and handling over all of them.

I'm not a badge snob or brand loyal but I've never driven a VAG car ( I travel a lot and take a lot of hire cars)that comes anywhere near the Mondeo for this aspect.

Steve.