UK car spec

Rant ahead!

Anyone else think that the range of options and spec we get in the UK from SkodaUK is pants?

Whilst looking at other car configurators to see if I could get the car specc'd as I want I have to admit I have become more and more hacked off that other markets get the ability to option cars better than the UK

I can get the engine I want, I can get the wheels I want, and I don't have to spend the day ripping a new car apart costing the thick end of 30K just to have footwell lights - which I have in a 10 year old Ford - grr

I could understand it if they were keeping options for Audi or VW or there were problems including them in a RHD car, but they are all available next door in Ireland in RHD.

Rant over  :x  think calm thoughts

For years I believed that cars in the UK were much better spec than Irish cars. People still believe that here. The true answer is that people from the UK pay to get these options. I bought a 2011 Octavia RS in Birmingham in 2013. It had full leather and the 18" wheels. Other than that it was very basic compared to the Irish car. The 18s and full leather were options here too. The Irish VRS from the same year came with rear parking sensors, bluetooth, auto lights and wipers. None of these were on the UK car. However I saved 2500 euro by buying the car in the UK. Traded it in after two years driving which only cost me 2000 euro in depreciation and all the saving meant i could afford a brand new RS this time round. People still try and convince me that UK cars have better spec as standard but I'm not so sure anymore.

Some and some to be honest.

The Irish Mk3 Elegance isntas well spec'd as the UK version for example.

Lots of things it doesnt have....

Alarm

High beam assist

Colour maxidot

Amundsen

Variable boot floor

Alcantara/leather

Folding mirrors

Headlamp washers

Bluetooth with voice control

Might be others. For that model we do quite well for sure.

I have a pretty much option free Elegance and I have to say that I find it very well spec'd. The extras that you get compared to an SE are quite significant, and the price is still very reasonable. If that list of what the Elegance doesn't get as standard in Ireland is correct then you can hardly say it's a straight comparison.

That said, if you look at the Czech configurator you can see how much more flexibility they get. For a small mark-up they can choose from about 30 different colours and can have most engines and quite a selection of different wheels on the middle spec cars (for example the 1.8TSi is more available, whereas here you have to get an L&K, which is a nice car but hugely expensive compared to an Elegance). In fact, thinking about it there's only one petrol option in Elegance trim, it's almost like SUK have picked one petrol engine to go with each trim level - mix and match is not allowed!

Hi

I agree there is not as much as standard, but when you add all those options they are all about the same price, at least you have the option to put more on (or less if you dont want it).

Paying for something you dont want is actually worse than not being able to spec something you do

I just cannot see why the UK configuration is more restrictive in choice, when they do it in a similar market

Oh and DAB isnt standard either.

Three more....

Driver alert system

Driving mode selection

Hill hold control on manuals

The RS is v similar but again has no alarm, bluetooth, voice control, hill hold, driver alert or driver mode selection. Also comes with Pictoris and has no lane assist.

Its generally the case that the UK market has pretty strong standard specification, are just limited on factory options. Odd I know but could be worse.

Hi

I agree there is not as much as standard, but when you add all those options they are all about the same price, at least you have the option to put more on (or less if you dont want it).

Paying for something you dont want is actually worse than not being able to spec something you do

I just cannot see why the UK configuration is more restrictive in choice, when they do it in a similar market

The problem with adding options is they don't add anything to the residuals of the car, some options I wanted on the SE brought the car to within £250 (new list cost) of the Elegance but, the PCP was less p.m. for the Elegance due entirely to its increased residual or GFV  in PCP speak.

The problem with adding options is they don't add anything to the residuals of the car, some options I wanted on the SE brought the car to within £250 (new list cost) of the Elegance but, the PCP was less p.m. for the Elegance due entirely to its increased residual or GFV  in PCP speak.

Fair point that,  my rant should have been about the choice available not the spec of uk cars, - guess that is what you get when you rant  :notme:

But I still cannot see why they can offer options in one RHD market and not offer them in another, these are fundamental things like engine/gearbox combinations as well as options.

Although I do see why it would not suit everyone, some have the buying profile that mitigates things like options and if it is offered one place why not another  - surely it makes their admin easier?

One of the benefits of buying a car new is you get it exactly as you want and it is annoying to find what you want is only available in another market next door.

Such is life I guess 

I often wonder if Ireland went metric in their speed limits due to the motor lobby wanting ways to stop lads going over to the UK to buy better spec cars for less. It's amazing how having/not having a specific KM/H Speedo can keep a person local. 

VAG cars seem to be an anomaly in Ireland in that they offer tons of options compared to the UK; whereas every other brand seriously restricts their options list. Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Subaru, Saab, Volvo, Mazda won't let you add any options outside of their two/three pre specced vehicles whereas in the UK there is at least a better choice. The only exception to this would be VAG (as already mentioned), the premium brands like BMW/Lexus/Mercedes etc and to a small extent Ford.

What puzzles me more than anything else is why won't these companies let you choose from all of the options. What harm is it to provide a cabin heater ala webasto to a UK/Irish buyer like it is to a Scandanavian buyer. They all come out of the same factory and, even then, wouldn't it allow the companies to make even more money ?