1.2 TSI Oil Usage

I know not strictly an Octavia but same engine/platform etc.

I'm aware there is another thread on high oil usuage but wondered if anyone has had this issue.

Basically this January my oil light came on and I put approx 1.5 litres in to get rid of the light, car is 20 months old and has covered 12k miles.

Had car in for initial investigation which declared no external leaks but required further investigation this was done today and the result is a lot of parts need changed/replaced something muttered about a TPI?

Anyway the following is being replaced:

Spark plugs x 4

Cylinder head

Cylinder head gasket

Inlet manifold gasket

Exhaust manifold gasket

Cam cover gasket

Timing belt kit

Turbo gaskets x 2

Exhaust clamp

Cat clamp

Exhaust gasket

Cat gasket

Exhaust nuts x 4

Coolant regulator

Toothed belt

Oil filter

Antifreeze x 2 bottles

Engine oil as required to fill to level

Oil seals x 4

Misc gasket

Car is needed for 2-3 days for the work, luckily under warranty.

I have the 1.4 TSI. I got the oil warning after about 11k miles. It took slightly more than 1L.

There have been a few other threads about oil comsumption for the (small) TSIs, and others have reported similar oil usage.

Oil usage and VAG TSI engines really is not uncommon, though its normally the 1.4 TSI twincharger thats discussed.

I can say that my father has had two TSI (TFSi in Audi speak) Audis...a 2010 A3 1.4 125ps S Line and a late 2010 A5 Sportback 2.0 180ps SE and both suffered from excessive oil issues. The A5 got so bad he sold it just before the warranty ran out (oil usage was being monitored by dealership at the time).

A friend also has an A5 Coupe 2.0 180ps Sport and recently had to have a top end rebuild as it got to the point it was using 1 litre every 100 miles and was getting worse. Audi admitted it was a known issue and agreed to fix at no charge then tried to stiff him for 5k once the work was done. Ita been fine since but v bad for what amounted to a £35k car new.

That said all v much luck of the draw. I ran the ill fated CAVE 180ps twincharger (in a Fabia vRS) for 18 months/11k miles and it used a litre every 4.5k or so which was acceptable.

Guess I'll await a further report from the garage once the work is done.  Be interesting to see what happens post work as I don't want to be in the position to get rid if troubles persist or get worse.

• 5 years later...
On 26/02/2015 at 13:00, nokiauk said:

Guess I'll await a further report from the garage once the work is done.  Be interesting to see what happens post work as I don't want to be in the position to get rid if troubles persist or get worse.

I have the same 5F 1.2 as you at about 43k. How has your oil usage been since your last post. I noticed since last years July service it’s drunk some oil. Can’t recall but I don’t believe it was any where near or over a litre. Car is used for local driving only. And lately less and less. This issue occurred before lockdown. 

Going in for a service so do I stick to long life 3 5w30 or the recommended quantum 5w40 platinum oil. It’s been treated to LL3 last year even though we are on 10k or less annual servicing. The purchasing garage used some Shell or similar 0w30 can’t recall what. All these grades are confusing. My 2 Skodas I managed to work out what’s best  and had the best results. 

This is quite an old thread, from memory the car did continue to drink oil though not quite as bad, still more than I would expect, car was sold in 2017 so I don't know what happened after that.

@gav_is_con

Using VW 504 / 507 Long Life oil was hardly a treat.  Just oil to the spec for Variable / Flexible Servicing or if you want Fixed Servicing.

Dealerships will usually use 5w 30 FS III,   and now for those getting VW508 / 509 0w 20 FS IV.

There are more dealers now that have 0w 30 FS III as their oil of choice.

(On here recently some muppet at a Dealership told a member that their vehicle that is recommended to use VW 508/509

would get 0w 30 oil at the next service.)

..................................................................................................................................................................

For a TSI you can use Long Life oil  and you can use to VW502 so 5w 40 FS for Fixed Servicing.

For a TDI it must be to VW 504 / 507 

(or now on newer ones if following Manufacturers recommendations VW 508 /509 so 0w 20 FS IV)

So basically. 

Use 5w 40 FS to VW 502 and it might well do your engine good and you might use less oil, and it will do no harm and not cause it to use more oil or decrease your cars economy / MPG.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

5 hours ago, nokiauk said:

This is quite an old thread, from memory the car did continue to drink oil though not quite as bad, still more than I would expect, car was sold in 2017 so I don't know what happened after that.

This is after major engine work. Is there news emerging about troubles with this engine here ?

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@gav_is_con

Using VW 504 / 507 Long Life oil was hardly a treat.  Just oil to the spec for Variable / Flexible Servicing or if you want Fixed Servicing.

Dealerships will usually use 5w 30 FS III,   and now for those getting VW508 / 509 0w 20 FS IV.

There are more dealers now that have 0w 30 FS III as their oil of choice.

(On here recently some muppet at a Dealership told a member that their vehicle that is recommended to use VW 508/509

would get 0w 30 oil at the next service.)

..................................................................................................................................................................

For a TSI you can use Long Life oil  and you can use to VW502 so 5w 40 FS for Fixed Servicing.

For a TDI it must be to VW 504 / 507 

(or now on newer ones if following Manufacturers recommendations VW 508 /509 so 0w 20 FS IV)

So basically. 

Use 5w 40 FS to VW 502 and it might well do your engine good and you might use less oil, and it will do no harm and not cause it to use more oil or decrease your cars economy / MPG.

I was thinking on going 5w40 as it’s actually on fixed servicing. 

However what’s the difference between 5w30 and 5w40. And what characteristics might my engine show upon changing oil. Maybe it might benefit from a change of grade as well as benefit my wallet as I buy my own oil?

Dealerships that would use non Long Life oils used to use Quantum 5w 40 FS.

The price difference is pennies and not why people might not buy Long Life oil.

I use non long life that costs just the same as long life oil.  

(for the benefit of a TSI that is a keeper.)

Long Life Oil can mean shorter lived TSI's.

As seen with plenty of Euro 5 1.4 Twinchargers, 1.8 & 2.0 TSI's 

5w 30  & 5w 40 have in common the 5 which matters from cold start up. 

The 40 is what matters when hot. 

You can buy your Oil from Comma, Asda, Tesco or where ever as long as the Spec is right. 

Fixed servicing and VW502 and you will be fine.

This is Fabia Engines, But the 1.2 TSI oil Spec is the same Euro 5 & even Euro 6 engines.

1519881723_59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG.c094bf3723efef199470d9fa9e7a0d07(1).PNG.329ec03ddef86f057838f4837c698970.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot