Breaks in rain

KiDr

Hello Guys,

Quick question have you noticed that in very moist conditions, in rain when you are driving on highway for example for few miles without applying breaks and start to break for the first time. Breaks are empty, till you press really hard. I know that disks tend to collect water. But it is not as bed on other cars i own. Does anyone also noticed this?

car octavia combi vrs tsi 2014.

I experience exactly the same feeling in wet weather.

I hadn't noticed it until recently because most of the time I drive with ACC active & let it do the braking.

However, in the recent snowy & wet weather ACC has been unavailable due to build-up on the sensor.

When making the first braking after driving for a short while there is no braking pressure for several seconds.

My guess was also due to water on the discs as afterwards, braking force appears normal.

It shouldn't be bad, I'm sure your car will have this technology other Skodas have it....

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/glossary/brake-disc-wipers

Yes i had this system in my 2008 Vrs but it does not seem to be in my new car, or it is faulty:) Perhaps i will ask my dealer. It is not a very good feeling when you are trying to break from 100mph and you have no breaks for a few secs:)

Yes i had this system in my 2008 Vrs but it does not seem to be in my new car, or it is faulty:) Perhaps i will ask my dealer. It is not a very good feeling when you are trying to break from 100mph and you have no breaks for a few secs:)

Same here too.

There shouldn't be any water build on the discs though should there?  I would have thought centrifugal force would have seen to that ??

but i guess that same force nicely smears water over whole disk starting from the center:) 

To be fair the front rotors on the vRS are massive and ventilated.....driving for a reasonable period of time where they cool through lack of use, further cooled by the presence of water...i'd say what you are suggesting is not that unusual.

I get it on my Elegance with 288mm brakes, if ive driven some distance, particularly when wet or damp without really using them much they feel pretty dead when stood on.

The O3 does have pre-fill that is supposed to identify panic braking before it happens effectively pressurising the servo to provide maximum braking effort under emergency braking...this would probably counter the brakes not being fully up to temp in most conditions.

To be fair the front rotors on the vRS are massive and ventilated.....driving for a reasonable period of time where they cool through lack of use, further cooled by the presence of water...i'd say what you are suggesting is not that unusual.

I get it on my Elegance with 288mm brakes, if ive driven some distance, particularly when wet or damp without really using them much they feel pretty dead when stood on.

The O3 does have pre-fill that is supposed to identify panic braking before it happens effectively pressurising the servo to provide maximum braking effort under emergency braking...this would probably counter the brakes not being fully up to temp in most conditions.w

To be honest it does not feel very normal, it is like you do not have brakes at all for a few secs. I would say it is some design flaw or some prob with my brakes.

On mine it presents itself as a very brief moment of brake fade and give you the sensation for maybe a second or so that its not braking effectively...but then does.

I put it down to the brakes cooling off through lack of use. The standard pads probably dont work that well outside of normal operating temps either...expect their compound is quite hard to provide long wear.

As has been said, cool brakes due to the rain/cool conditions and lack of use on motorways gives a bit of fade type feel until they warm up within a few seconds of friction. Use to have a modded car with big discs and Kevlar pads and these would just not warm up unless driven really hard / track conditions, which was not nice stopping in traffic around town!

I don't see this issue when the weather is dry. Driving home last night (cold & dry) I didn't have any problems with braking force.

This morning after a 20 minute cruise on the highway in the rain & I have this issue immediately upon braking at the first exit.

It seems to be made much worse by the wet weather.

I've never had an issue like this on any of my previous cars & its not a nice feeling even if it is only for a second or two.

I would hope that SKODA (respectivally VW) have not just somehow forgotten how to build brakes properly. So I was wondering if it's maybe due to the fact that the brakes are bigger than what we are used to and that's an inherent "problem" of larger discbrakes?

I have not noticed the problem myself, but since I haven't done that many km yet I am still learning how the car behaves.