Skoda Superb 2008 Oil Pump Failure Question

Hi

Looking for a bit advice. I own a 2008 mk1 skoda superb 2.0 tdi pd, 48k on the clock. In the last week I just had to replace the turbo, the source of the problem still not known.

I really loved the car before this happnd, had for nearly 2 years. But now im really concerned after reading about oil pump issues and the huge repair bills with this particular engine.

My question is, I have read so many different posts, do all 2.0 tdi on my year of car get this issue? Is any way I can check?

I just dont know whether to sell now while its running or keep the car, I would prefer to keep it if i can as its bought and paid for and in great condition.

Any help or advice be great.

Whilst there is a known problem with the oil pump drive in this engine, and it is an apalling piece of design, it is not inevitable, despite what some would have you believe.

My 2007 Mk I 2.0 PD managed 201,000 miles on the original pump.

Unfortunately there is no way of predicting an outcome My research suggested that as well as lengthening the drive shaft VAG increased the depth of its case hardening and replaced a faulty machine ( or their suppliers did - another piece of uncertainty) but they would never confirm or deny this, or say when the change was made etc.

The problem you will find is that the whole world now regards this engine as a disaster waiting to happen, and you'll be damned lucky to get more than £1,500 for the car irrespective of the mileage or condition.

A new pump assembly is about £125, and it's about 2 hours to change, so you may consider replacing it.

In the end I opted to take a chance, and "got away with it"

TBH I would seriously do what I did - accept that it is going to go bang and start saving for a replacement.

If, like me, you are in possession of a good 'un, that's a bonus.

• Like 1

I can't help, but I feel for your dilemma.

The death of the turbo presumably didn't show that anything else was going awry then?

Think I'm with BJM in trusting to luck, but there again, if you can avoid the 'bang' for the price of a major service.......hmmmm, that's a toughie.

Gaz

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I was gutted with Turbo failing esp at only 47k miles and its now put fear in my head, but I was very lucky, got mate who is pretty handy and sorted the lot including new turbo for £390 including doing all oil and filters again and sorting flexi.

He was concerned about Turbo failing so early. The only two other parts, which sprung up where.

1. The flexi between the turbo and the cat, was leaking emissions, with some graft and new flexi and some welding this was managed to be repaired without having to replace the whole cat.

2. During the oil flush, my mate was bit concerned the quality oil and how dirty the oil filter was. It was done at a garage last May, and pretty confident it was done. So mate who did this work, going to check again in 2 to 3 months and see the quality of oil and filter again. I had only done 4k miles since last oil change last year.

The only way I knew turbo was on its way out was when accelerating at 40-60mph was getting squeal, we thought was brakes at first until we got noise when car sat not moving. My mate said it might have gone on another year or two, without any issues but recommending replacing before it broke. But issue got is not sure what made turbo go, could it be oil pump on way out, I just don’t know but got the fear.

But cars paid for, cracking looking motor, really well kept. I just don’t know what to do. I don’t have much spare cash to through at another motor, time got so much less for trade in on Skoda, not even had it 2yrs.

I am not a mechanic... but a quick bit of googling around oil pump and turbo would seem to indicate that the turbo failing could be due to the oil pump being in an early failure mode, giving you some but lower than necessary oil pressure.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?79254-Passat-B6-Turbo-Failure

If you have a friend who is good with a spanner then in your situation (having to make do with it) - I would spend a little time looking at the oil pump assembly and seeing if it is going to break my new turbo...! :)  There are quite a lot of guides out there on the subject.

Thanks Jimbof, ill try and find some more information on the guides for looking into the pump.

Not sure my mate is overly keen on doing the job just now, as I dont think its most straightforward thing to get in about, he said going to keep eye on car and look into the pump issue more.

Its just bit annoying you dont seem to be able to just replace a part and thats it fixed.

The oil pump failure mode is unfortunately not gradual.

In fact the oil pumps are a cracking piece of kit, good for 500,000 miles plus.

It is driven by a hexagonal 6 mm shaft which fits into a badly designed hole in the balance shafts.

This shaft slowly rounds off, until suddenly without warning it simply spins and the pump stops rotating. - that's it, all or nothing in a split second.

hi BJM

thanks for reply, found this earlier on eBay

I dont know enough about it, my car knowledge is minimal to say the least

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-superb-octavia-2-0-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-exchange-gear-perfect-/191525766323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c97d344b3

fitting something like this, could this help from issue occuring?

• 5 years later...
On 02/03/2015 at 11:14, BJM said:

Whilst there is a known problem with the oil pump drive in this engine, and it is an apalling piece of design, it is not inevitable, despite what some would have you believe.

My 2007 Mk I 2.0 PD managed 201,000 miles on the original pump.

Unfortunately there is no way of predicting an outcome My research suggested that as well as lengthening the drive shaft VAG increased the depth of its case hardening and replaced a faulty machine ( or their suppliers did - another piece of uncertainty) but they would never confirm or deny this, or say when the change was made etc.

The problem you will find is that the whole world now regards this engine as a disaster waiting to happen, and you'll be damned lucky to get more than £1,500 for the car irrespective of the mileage or condition.

A new pump assembly is about £125, and it's about 2 hours to change, so you may consider replacing it.

In the end I opted to take a chance, and "got away with it"

TBH I would seriously do what I did - accept that it is going to go bang and start saving for a replacement.

If, like me, you are in possession of a good 'un, that's a bonus.

I know it's an old topic but hopefully someone can help. 

I've just purchased a 2008 octavia 2.0 TDI with 165k miles and I'm looking to replace the oil pump/oil pump drive but it's proving difficult to find parts and a garage who'd actually do this job. 

Any recommendations on whether I should try have the whole oil pump replaced, or just the drive and what parts to get? 

I know there are replacement parts available that would likely prevent the catastrophe from happening, instead of fitting the same parts that'll eventually wear out and be a source of worry again in another 100k miles or so. 

Anyone managed to prevent the disaster or fix the failure? Anyone on here with a 2.0 TDI with over 200k on clock and still running?