Spare wheel

I don't know why, but I've always assumed that we get a space saver (with a prominent yellow sticker telling us not to do more than 50 mph) because there is insufficient room in the wheel well for a full size one.

I understand that manufacturers want to wean us off spares because they are heavy and spoil the car's mpg (only the minutest bit surely?) but they offer them as a cost option.

I had a puncture the other day and changed onto my spare which turned out to be a 16" steel rim with a 205/55 rather than the 225/45/17 on the car. But of course it's got that yellow sticker which shouts at the old bill "stop me for going more than 50" on it. Why? It's a perfectly sensible tyre. It's not one of those tiny narrow tyres. Its nearly the same width and it must surely have the same diameter....

So I checked

205/55/16 Diameter 632mm

225/45/17 Diameter 634mm

A tiny difference. A tyre retailer tells me that they recommend not more than a +/- 2.5% (presumably as the tread wears, so does the diameter). So it's well within tolerance.

Better check the circumference (I'm not very busy...). 78.156" for the 16 inch wheel. 78.452" for the 17. A massive difference of about a quarter of an inch or 0.377% difference.

So will my full size 225/45/17 wheel go in the wheel well?

I took it off the car. Of course it does. It fits perfectly.

So why have I got a space saver?

I expect (and apologise if) someone's already asked this question. But I'm a bit cross. I don't care if it's on a steel wheel rather than an ally one. It'll go just as fast as the other ones.

Dilly

At a guess they don't make 17 inch steels and manufacturers no longer give alloy spare wheels

Well I should word that mainstream manufacturers don't give alloy spares and my proton gti had one when the likes of ford vw and the likes were still giving steels

As brian said.  it seems VAG don't have a steel rim that is 7.5Jx17 or 7.5Jx18, so you get the closest to it, which although close it isn't the same and legally and is a space saver.

Its not hard to get your own 2nd hand rim from ebay and get a tyre of the right size if you want a full size spare.

Or and yes, its been asked before, your in good company...its why I joined the forum, to get the the size info needed to sort myself a spare

On the VRS the 225 wide 18" tyre is a tiny bit too deep for the wheel well and sits slightly proud (maybe 5mm or so). I would expect the 225x 17 to be the same - the boot floor is just not quite flat with it in place.

The main issue is the jack/tool holder which won't fit in a proper wheel so I cut mine down and now it fits perfectly.

I agree, though...  how stupid to have no spare or one that's almost totally useless!

On the VRS the 225 wide 18" tyre is a tiny bit too deep for the wheel well and sits slightly proud (maybe 5mm or so). I would expect the 225x 17 to be the same - the boot floor is just not quite flat with it in place.

The main issue is the jack/tool holder which won't fit in a proper wheel so I cut mine down and now it fits perfectly.

I agree, though...  how stupid to have no spare or one that's almost totally useless!

You may find the older type tool kit the plastic cased one fits perfectly. But not sure has the jack changed?.