Front PDC and Rear Camera Option on 12 Plate Twindoor

Hi,

So I've gone through a few threads on this and am not any nearer a conclusion.

I'm looking for a company that can quote for doing the whole job integrated with the Columbus head unit rather than a DIY option as what I can do with a spanner can be summed up in two words, the second one being "all"...

So far the only company I have found (ideally darn sarth as I'm in Surrey) is VAG-Tec in London who have quoted £399 fitted for the front sensors and a further £499 fitted for the camera, in both instances fully connected up to Columbus as if they were factory fitted.

Would be great to hear if anyone has used them and/or know of any others. To me the front sensors don't sound like a bad price, but eh camera seems a little steep. I've found a company called 'Double Din' who are based in Bulgaria (!) who can supply a rear camera designed for the Superb licence plate for either €49 for a wired version or €89 for a wireless version to avoid routing cables. Not sure how much an auto electrician would charge to fit and whether, with the wireless version, its an easy integration into the Columbus?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Z

Any good auto electrician should be able to sort out what you want and at a fraction of the cost you have been quoted.

I would think it wouldn't come to that for OME fitted at a dealer.

I wouldn't dream of doing front PDC myself - maybe a universal set, but OEM integration? Get a company to do it. And that price isn't bad at all! Just make SURE it's OEM integration and not one of those universal sets with a beeper hidden away somewhere. Demand you see the front PDC lines on the Columbus when it's done.

The RVC I have added myself to my Superb, and it's not difficult. You will need a full day to run the cable from behind the Columbus to the rear of the car, back up to the ceiling, down into the tailgate. Remove tailgate trim, run the cable through one of the 2 cable guides, and you're done. Avoid sharp corners and tape it all down with some VW cloth tape to avoid rattles (part number 000979950). Splice into the reversing lightbulb wiring for the activation signal, and get someone local to you with VCDS to sort the coding out.

You can use THIS kit from carsystems.eu for 199 EUR, or THIS kit from cars-equipment.com for 160 EUR. Maybe eBay for even less money. I have used both shops before without issues.

Cutting a hole between a license plate light and the soft button takes 5 minutes with a Dremel. Just go slow, and do lots of test-fittings.

There are kits out there that replace a license plate light or the soft button with a version that has a camera fitted (so you don't have to cut a hole in the bootlid), but I think the "Scirocco" kit is way cheaper + it guarantees fitment...the handle/license plate light kits are all for Passats or Golfs but "Compatible with many many VAG models including the Superb", yeah, I'm not taking that chance...

While I personally wouldn't retrofit front PDC, I find the RVC one of the best upgrades I've done so far.

Edited by Too Tall

Hi Too Tall, thanks for the advice. Looking at previous threads, I thought it wasn't a bad price for integrated front PDCs, but Superbpete made me doubt myself! The key thing I am happy paying more for is the integration to the columbus so it looks factory fitted, also the finish on the front bumper - VAG-tec say they drill from the rear of the bumper not the front to get an OEM finish.

I'll check out those camera options too, although will need to get someone to fit - the car, knowing me, will actively drive away by itself if it sees me coming at it with any sort of tool! Given the decent camera kits cost around £150 or so and we're looking at a few hours labour, the £499 for the fitted camera doesn't seem like too bad a price?

Thanks again

Z

Well, lets put it this way. If someone would ask me if I would fit the camera if they pay for the parts, and they would pay me 500 EUR for the troubles, I still wouldn't do it. Running the cable from the front to the back of the car is a major pain in the...rear end. If you don't mind paying for it, I'm guessing the 499UKP all-in price is not that bad...

If you're not willing to do it yourself, you're going to have to pay for it to be done. And it's quite a big job. Added bonus is ofcourse you'll have some sort of warranty, so that's a plus.

All up to you! :p