Monaghan & Sons Ltd - Co. Galway

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The jury is still out on this place as far as I am concerned.

I brought them my 2008 Octavia in June 2009 to correct a door leak. I had just bought the car in England and discovered a leak over the door sill into the car on the front passenger door. Only happened in hard rain with the wind coming in a certain direction. (Irish weather)

First issue with them: "we don't do courtesy cars...”

After they poured water all over the car and inside too I was told the problem could not be replicated and thus there was nothing to be done. :confused:

After two more trips to talk with service managers together with a phone call to Skoda Ireland to clarify my rights under warranty we all agreed to calm down and give it another go.

This time they had it two days and established that the leak was not the infamous Skoda door card problem but rather a misaligned door.

Job done and hasn't leaked since. :thumbup:

However, next hard rain and the same issue with the rear door behind it. Rain fills up the sill area and water flows or blows “up” into the door seal at the bottom of the door opening. :mad:

Another trip to Monaghan & Sons Ltd - Co. Galway this morning.

I am told the door seal is meant to do that. Basically too much water and it over fills the sill area and is trapped between the door seal and the outer wind seal. Water then runs over the door seal to the space between the door seal and the interior trim panel and sits there. Once the door is opened the water in the sill area runs away and then small holes in the door seal let the excess that is behind the seal inside the car drain away onto the sill.

I really can't say if this is true or the Manager just fobbing me off – Since I had travelled, I left it with them to check it again. I can't say I am that I was filled with hope by their attitude.

Either way, my expectations for Skoda and Monaghan & Sons in Galway are diminished. :thumbdwn:

I expect more "reward" for a sixty mile round trip and two hours driving in peak traffic each time I visit these people. Plus you need a lift or taxi since they “don't do courtesy cars”. This is my sixth visit with the same issue. :(

Am I expecting too much?

I do accept your mileage may vary and your experience may have been much better with this garage. I have of course nothing to say about their business in respect of sales or general servicing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I have used Monaghans three times since aquiring a Mk1 Octavia VRS in August - twice for two bulk parts purchases, and a third time for them to fix a broken window regulator. They are less than 1 mile from my workplace so very convenient.

I found the lady at the parts counter very friendly and she gave me a discount on the second visit. As a first time Skoda owner I was surprised at the low parts prices.

The window reg was done for €180 inc. VAT & labour which was a tiny bit spicy but the convenience swung it in their favour.

Overall I would class the place as friendly. I have owned a wide variety of cars and have used most of the dealers around the town, mainly for parts and often with horrendous results. I will continue to deal with Monaghans, and would recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised that monaghans in galway gave you such good treatment, seeing as they have lost every other dealership they had in the past, they can't afford to lose skoda aswell.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Dropped my 2016 Superb L&K 190 TDI into them in October for a service, I had just brought the car in from the UK and wanted it to get a full once-over just to be sure everything was ok.

Service was ok, I had all filters changed (except cabin) and brake fluid replaced as well as a glow plug replaced in Cylinder 1. All in all came to about 300€ I think.

Service manager Dave was very friendly, and they offered me a lift if I needed to get somewhere.

On my way in to the appointment I began to hear a knocking/creaking sound from the suspension, I reported this to them and after inspection they claimed it was my front left shock absorber which was leaking and would require replacement. Quoted €500 supply & fit (the car has DCC so shocks are expensive). Of course it was recommended to do both sides as there was a risk of imbalance otherwise so I said I would arrange for it to be done at a later date.

Instructed them not to wash the vehicle and had to remind them a few times of that, bit annoying but I suppose it's a habit for them to wash by default.

However, about 2 weeks later after my own investigation, I found an issue. The replaced glow plug was sat in the wiper tray, obviously forgotten by the tech. Not good that it was missed, as I spotted it immediately after opening the bonnet. Additionally, the knocking/creaking is not caused by my shocks, rather the creaky bushings that are plaguing some of these models. So another mark against the dealer there.

Overall happy with their service, cost and friendliness, but quality control could be better. Would use them again