Number plate lamp reversing camera

I know a few of you guys have them. How did you go about routing the wiring to the front of the car. Does it have to go through the headlining as the only way I can think is up to the connector near the hinges. Any tips to make it easier? Thanks

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I went for the boot handle replacement camera but wiring route would be similar. Hardest part was getting wires through the tailgate & into the car, but from there it went down the O/S/R seat and along the side/floor. No need to disturb the headlining.

It was a bit tricky getting wires from tailgate to interior but using the existing cable grommet is possible.

Just be careful when removing/refitting tailgate trims, clips could damage, but other than that it's just "take your time".

Yep that looks better than the number plate and I did wonder about lob sided lighting with leds. Boot pull it is, now I swapped Ccm I have oem remote locking so can pop the boot via the remote anyway meaning I don't need to manhandle it. Cheers guys you sold me on it

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

If you need info on the parts used I'm sure Mike can advise.

His are the same as mine, but he probably has the details more readily available (not sure where I filed them :think:  )

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

As I said, totally OEM, no sign of any ageing or milkiness. Looks as good now as it did when it was installed before last winter.

Only issue I have with it isn't anything to do with the camera -- when the back of the car got totally obscured with salt, so did the camera and I was back to judging things LOL!

Mike

I'd agree with that, and mine's been fitted for a bit longer than Mikes. Still looking good & performing well. :happy:

Now, if only they could have fitted it with a wiper... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

First off sorry for bringing up an old thread but from what I’ve been reading this is the closest information I’ve found for what I’m wanting to do.

I have a 2010 Ocatvia Scout and I’ve installed an aftermarket Android Xtrons head unit which I’m very pleased with, next step is to fit a reversing camera which I’ve just purchased (a boot latch version) 

I’m thinking I’ll use the method Mike has stated regarding taking the camera feeds from the boot light as my car uses a CANbus system, but I just need a few things clarifying before I have the confidence to make a start.

Once I take out the panel that the nearside boot light is situated in, where abouts do you splice into the + & - wires? as in; is there a switch to control the boot light that I’ll need to be joining the camera wires ahead of?

Also on the RCA lead which goes to the back of my head unit there’s a red wire at either end, I need to locate the reverse trigger wire on my head unit and connect it up, but at the other end does that also get connected into the boot light positive wire?

Lastly, its it preferable to disconnect the battery or just pull the fuse to that circuit when working on the car?

Thanks

20 hours ago, mikeholroyd said:

No switch to the boot light, it is switched from the lock itself. Use the actual cables close to the multiplug which goes to the boot light unit itself. 

No need to disconnect the battery.

Mike

Thanks for the reply and it was the answer i was hoping for :)

Pretty much all set to have ago at installing it, looking forward to the joy of sussing out how to remove all the trim!