New to (old) Skoda's.....

Acco72

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of an Estelle 120L (although I am not entirely new to Skoda as I have an Octavia II for daily duties..). So obviously I am looking for lots of advice and encouragement!

If anyone knows the car (F*** EKK) I would be keen to know about its life (looks to have been nicely restored and treated to a few tasteful cosmetic upgrades).

The only thing I am going to do is lower the front suspension (it just has to be done, apologies to all the purists out there..). Can I lower it by, say, an inch and a half without affecting ARB, arches, etc? Coilsprings.co.uk can make me a set of springs to spec which seems a sensible thing to do?

All help greatly appreciated!

Matt

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of an Estelle 120L (although I am not entirely new to Skoda as I have an Octavia II for daily duties..). So obviously I am looking for lots of advice and encouragement!

If anyone knows the car (F*** EKK) I would be keen to know about its life (looks to have been nicely restored and treated to a few tasteful cosmetic upgrades).

The only thing I am going to do is lower the front suspension (it just has to be done, apologies to all the purists out there..). Can I lower it by, say, an inch and a half without affecting ARB, arches, etc? Coilsprings.co.uk can make me a set of springs to spec which seems a sensible thing to do?

All help greatly appreciated!

Matt

Arcot1751 has one here,look out for his posts,BTW,welcome.

Cheers chaps, I think the 80's Skoda experience is going to be fun.

Looks like I need to pick the brains of hawkeracing. You out there Sir....??

BTW, was a bit nerve-jangley tackling Leeds rush hour on a warm Fri. Needn't have worried, never went over 90 degs (had a close eye on that gauge.....!!)

Yeah, Hawker owned that car until very recently. It was previously lowered with a set of lowering springs. He frequents the Skoda Owners' Club facebook page too. https://www.facebook.com/groups/skodaownersclub/

For reference, my Rapid has some lowering springs on standard dampers etc. I don't think it improves much but it does look better. I would advise changing the dampers too if you can. 

Hi Acco that was one of my cars until recently - I did a fair bit to it as it was a bit of a wreck when I got it -  mechanically at least. It still needs new front suspension bushes and unless someone has looked at it, probably the carb setting up. It shouldn't overheat as I did the head gasket on it.

Edited by hawkeracing

Ah, right, thanks for the info hawkeracing. I can tell it has been treated well. So you say front bushes need doing? I'll tackle those when I put shorter springs on. What would you say is the 'right' amount to lower the front? 35mm?

Is there anything else I should be looking to do on this car (or any Estelle)? I noticed a few drips of oil from around the bell housing I think, after a longish run. Is this normal or something to investigate?

Sorry for all the questions, new toy, I'll calm down in a bit.....

I have PM'd you - drips under the rear are fairly normal for these cars and Ekk was no different. If you cut the top half coil and the next full coil off the front springs and chamfer the ends you'll take about 40mm off the height which is about right. It works well and I've done it a couple of times.....I realise some people disapprove of cutting springs though. You can get front lowering springs from Speedpro in CZ but it can be a bit of a battle dealing with them.....alternatively there is a company who advertise a full set on Ebay called Lo or something.

I wouldn't say "don't cut coils" but I would say that you have to know how much to cut to achieve a required drop, cut an "open end", and cut vertically.

I'd trust HawkeR to know the "how much" for an Estelle/Rapid, and make no comment about individual competence.

Spot on hawker et al - I'm gonna get some 1&1/2 inch drop springs made. Don't trust myself to do irreversible surgery on the stock springs (one way street if I get it wrong or don't like the results!).

Will I still get enough travel in the suspension before I 'hit the buffers'.....?

Appreciate all the help BTW.

PS: I'll PM you hawker when it let's me if that's OK? I want to keep going with the good work where you left it!

• Like 1

If you're buying shorter springs, you could get them 1 turn less wire and 10% higher poundage, which is usually about right to achieve the same wheel energy from "rest" to full bump. Of course, this will then mean that you'll be under-damped on standard rate dampers.