Lovely picture of my mercedes cosworth

DanialA11

There's not too many of those left now, it always fascinated me the likes of cosworth getting involved with merc when they have their own in house tuning arm. I guess it was to do with making the touring cars more competitive by using cossie expertise?

Homologation exercise?

Yes

Were there different versions of these then? I only remember seeing one on top gear in that challenge alongside the M3 and Sierra but it looked very different to yours.

The 2.3-16 and 2.5-16.

All started in the 1970s when Merc wanted to go rallying, believe it or not. At the time they were using the big V8 coupes but wanted to use the 190E so asked Cosworth to develop an engine. Unfortunately the Audi Quattro completely outclassed it with it's 4 wheel drive so Merc turned their attention to DTM but to compete in this the cars had to be based on road going production models. So they had to the 190E into production with a detuned version (2.3L) of the Cosworth engine. The 2.5L version came later on in 1988.

• Like 1

Were there different versions of these then? I only remember seeing one on top gear in that challenge alongside the M3 and Sierra but it looked very different to yours.

My one has had a SL front bonnet conversion done, the bonnet was chopped from the front and a SL R129 front grill was fabricated onto it by a previous owner.

I still have the original bonnet in the shed. However I prefer this look as there is not many people that had this done as it was very expensive and only a hand full of people could actually do it.

I would still love an EVO version with that HUGE rear wing....................4cy nat asp engine from Cosworth, poor power compared to todays hot hatches .............

BUT THE REAL DEAL!!!!................. :sun:

I would still love an EVO version with that HUGE rear wing....................4cy nat asp engine from Cosworth, poor power compared to todays hot hatches .............

BUT THE REAL DEAL!!!!................. :sun:

It is poor power but when your driving it still feels amazing

Friend if mine has a evolution 1 lovely motor have a picture somewhere

evolution 2 with the big wing cost the best part of 50k now

Yes - it makes up on stability where it loses on power.

Had an e30 m3 - what it lost on take off, it made up on the twisties.

Yet to drive a road car that handles better.

Edited by adilVRS