Felicia 1.3 selector shaft very rough

Not sure what the english word is... Opposite of easy/smooth. :)
When I try to put the gears into 2 or 4, I have to apply alot of strength. My mother who borrowed the car a couple of days ago had to drive in only 1,3 and 5. (which are also difficult, but not as much).

I noticed alot of oilspill  around the gasket for the selector shaft, so the gasket is probably bad.
But I don't have any idea what could be causing the roughness.

My Heynes tells me that replacing gaskets is a difficulty 4 out of 5, so I'm thinking that this might be a job for the shop, but still I would like to have some clue as to what might be the problem, before I turn the car in.

Any help is apperciated!

So it is hard to shift in 2nd and 4th gear. Even when stationary, I suppose. Since you didn't mention any grinding noise, I assume there isn't any.

I see two very possible reasons and a very remote third one. I will list them in order of probability:

• a bent shift rod from hitting a concrete border, a boulder, a dead polar bear :) etc.
  • excessive play in the gear shifting mechanism or a blockage in it that prevents free moving of the shift rod
  • bad gear shifting forks inside the gearbox

About changing the shift rod seal at gearbox... if that is a 4/5 job for Haynes, then swapping the engine must be a 9/5 one...

Haynes manuals are a good reading before bedtime for the most part. So my opinion is you can do it if you have proper jack stands to raise the front of the car and crawl under safely.

You should also check how much oil you have left in the gearbox and refill accordingly.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Other possibilities, which I'm suggesting because they're easy/cheap to check:-

Clutch out of adjustment.

Worn engine steady allowing the engine and gearbox to rock when you try and change gear, which will have the same effects as an out of adjustment or damaged gear linkage.