VRS miles to a tank :)

Other cars were not the subject really.   Cars come now with Electric Motors and do not directly use Carbon Fuels carried in the vehicle.

As to Dirty Diesels. thats a subject that does not really concern Twincharger Skoda drivers.

Other cars were not the subject really.   Cars come now with Electric Motors and do not directly use Carbon Fuels carried in the vehicle.

As to Dirty Diesels. thats a subject that does not really concern Twincharger Skoda drivers.

Eh?

Who mentioned the D word?

https://youtu.be/EPQj7HCYbRE

Single charger, dual injectors ie one indirect one direct seems to be the way forward with the 1.8 TSI replacing the twin-charge.  Loved the original 1.8TSI, even with supposed only 160 hp, still a 0-60 in 7.5s car in an Octy Mk2 and 140 mph and 45 mpg if cruising, well good, probably the best of the dozen Skodas I have had.

Lost me now,

you were talking Q5 & Q7 and if someone is running them with petrol engines then fuel economy or expense is not really on their agenda is it?

Euro 5 Emissions are done with now, used cars and last of an era. 

Euro 6 is the new PITA and soon we will be looking back with fond memories of Euro 4 & 5's.

Lost me now,

you were talking Q5 & Q7 and if someone is running them with petrol engines then fuel economy or expense is not really on their agenda is it?

Euro 5 Emissions are done with now, used cars and last of an era. 

Euro 6 is the new PITA and soon we will be looking back with fond memories of Euro 4 & 5's.

Reducing CO2 and fuel consumption is on VAGs agenda on both wiesel and petrol cars.  True most Q5/Q7s are wiesel powered but the coast feature helps both die and pet versions save fuel.  Arguably it make more of significant percentage and cost difference on petrol engines than it does on diesels.  

It has been reported that VAG actually prioritise the development of petrol engines as they see it as the better alternative of the two main fuel types.  

If you can get the thermal efficiency up then they are lighter and take up less space so you can get more hybrid stuff in and all that helps economy.   

ZF boxes have it too.    http://www.zf.com/eu/content/en/great_britain/corporate_uk/news_uk/press_releases_corporate/press_release_corporate.jsp?newsId=22054568

Anything reported on VW / Audi is usually written by VW / Audi in the first place.

VW / Audi were the ones trying to back track on the 2020 Emissions that Germany was the Nation thought Euro 7 Emissions would be a good idea 

to have introduced and stuff up other manufacturers world wide, then it dawned on them that they actually Build & Sell the Polluters and are behind the curve,

hence buying into Suzuki, Fiat etc to get their new Technology and Patents and engine design, 

Volvo went on with Dual Charging as VW fell behind and now need to catch up again.

google

greenpeace vw darkside report

or

the darkside of volkswagen report greenpeace uk

VW talk green,

but charge customers more to give greener options of cars, pay extra to save the world, yet the technology does not neccessarily cost more.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Anything reported on VW / Audi is usually written by VW / Audi in the first place.   VW / Audi were the ones trying to back track on the 2020 Emissions that Germany was the Nation thought Euro 7 Emissions would be a good idea 

to have introduced and stuff up other manufacturers world wide, then it dawned on them that they actually Build & Sell the Polluters and are behind the curve,

hence buying into Suzuki, Fiat etc to get their new Technology and Patents and engine design,  Volvo went on with Dual Charging as VW fell behind and now need to catch up again.

google

greenpeace vw darkside report

or

the darkside of volkswagen report greenpeace uk

VW talk green,  but charge customers more to give greener options of cars, pay extra to save the world, yet the technology does not neccessarily cost more.

We know the answers to get far more miles per tankful and VW are doing these things albeit slower than they can, particularly with the Skoda brand.

Smaller engines.  VAG bit slow on this in comparison to Fiat, Ford and Renault.  

Lighter bodies.  MQB is much lighter even though it is larger, well done in that regard.

More Aerodynamics. Usually better with the more prestige VAG brands though Octy is good if you want such a big car.

More efficient battery technology to assist the internal combustion engine (IC).   IC probably only needs to be about 40 Kw but with about 80 Kws of hybrid assist to make a perfectly quick car weighting less than a tonne, probably mixture of aluminium, carbon fibre and plastics.    I'de buy that for a dollar.    

MQB is not 'much' lighter though is it. Real World,  as the cars drive about. Not significant lightness.,   Look at the Bloaters that are the Golf / Octavia / Passat even the Leon is no Lightweight.

It was about them reducing Production / Material costs, and it has reduced quality, and VW messed up and had to punt the person behind the move to 

MQB.

Then the All New 3rd Generation Fabia with Components / Elements of MQB,  (MQB -A) which required no new Type Approval because it was a Face Lift of the Face Lift Mk 2 Fabia.

"On Avarage 60 kg lighter".  Well lighter than which Like for Like Mk2.  ?? 

(the ones they put 25 kg extra Ballast on the rear, and average lighter still when it gets a Spare Wheel as Standard and some Optional Extras and the Bigger Wheels Tyres.or just Lighter when a Basic bottom model.?

The Future with Internal Combustion Engines is already here and available from Volvo, VWG and others.

VWG invested so much in the Technology & Factories and Production Lines that they need to go with it, 

while the Other Manufacturers have moved on further and faster and more green already, and with less failures while proving the technology..

http://www.ae-plus.com/news/audi-wants-electric-superchargers

The Future with Internal Combustion Engines is already here and available from Volvo, VWG and others.

VWG invested so much in the Technology & Factories and Production Lines that they need to go with it, 

while the Other Manufacturers have moved on further and faster and more green already, and with less failures while proving the technology..

http://www.ae-plus.com/news/audi-wants-electric-superchargers

I think they are only putting the T6 twin-charge engine in the XC60 and XC90s and they are £40K plus.

It is a move in the right direction, 2 litre car replacing a 3 litre car, hugely better mpg,  from upper 20s mpg to around 40 mpg I suppose.

Now if they produced a 1litre with 150 hp that would be something most mortals could afford perhaps.

Maybe they will be able to as Volvo are now owned by the Chinese and costs should hopefully fall.   

Stefan Jacoby the CEO of Volvo when it because Chinese owned was the CEO of Volkswagen USA, since left,

& is now the CEO of General Motors.

The Small Dual Charge Engines are all designed, tested and ready to go.

And you forgot to mention had a sex change....   (Mary Barra)

mary-barra-new-gm-ceo-2.jpg
  • Like 1

Executive Vice President Consolidation International or what ever title.

I am sure he knows where all the New Technology is in VW, and GM pay well.

But you might have to live near Detroit.   My boss went to the European HQ in Zurich before it moved to Germany.   Not sure I fancy any of those locations.

PSA have just come out with record on one of their cars, not a total slouch either http://www.peugeot.co.uk/news/fuel-economy-record-for-the-peugeot-308-and-the-new-puretech-engine/

I like the idea of a car that can do 1,000 miles range, nearly 100 mpg and only cost £15K or less.  

Whats the most MPG that people have seen out of their VRS? 

I managed to get 52mpg out of my VRS the other week!!! Tank said I had 30 miles left in my tank and it was a 36 mile journey home so I was being super careful (60 mph in slow lane of motorway with not much traffic about)... but still, not too shabby for a 30 odd mile trip and 180 horses! 

Photographic proof ... 

vrdlef.jpg

Whats the most MPG that people have seen out of their VRS? 

I managed to get 52mpg out of my VRS the other week!!! Tank said I had 30 miles left in my tank and it was a 36 mile journey home so I was being super careful (60 mph in slow lane of motorway with not much traffic about)... but still, not too shabby for a 30 odd mile trip and 180 horses! 

Photographic proof ... 

vrdlef.jpg

I recall my mpg computer was showing just over 55 mpg when I did my massive 600 mile plus run from Worcester to Glasgow and back.

So it was a vented fill, probably had a good 11.2 gallons in the tank to start with, did the 615 miles or so and still had 15 miles left on the range computer.

It is the first 4 miles or so that killls any mpg run as you are probably onyl doing about 30 mpg in the warm up phase.

So you need to do a couple of hundred miles to reduce the affect of the warm up phase on the overall mpg.  

You we probably doing 55 mpg plus between the 4th and 30th miles covered.

Fuel computers probably over-read by about 4-5% like speedo but actual distance covered is probably accurate to within a couple of percent judging by road signs, routeplanner etc.

Three cylinder turbo-petrol engined cars are now do well in to the 60s mpg on a run and some have 125/30 hp or so and therefore good for 0-60 in 8 seconds or so.

VAG have gone the way of cylinder decactivation technology to achive 60 mpg or so.  Time will tell which is best but my guess is 3 cylinders with hybrid assist rather ACT.

• 8 months later...

This week in cold weather and good road surfaces often doing 50 miles plus for a gallon of 99 ron.

That is on 60 mph roads and at speeds at or below this due to many many cameras.

& even on the Motorways around the Central Belt of Scotland due to lots of 50 mph Average Speed Camera Road Work Areas, 

and some getting to the NSL for Motorways, more than 40 miles from each gallon.

Twinchargers just love cool or cold, even damp cool air, winter tyres and good octane fuel.

(& no head or side winds or extra weight carried.)

This week in cold weather and good road surfaces often doing 50 miles plus for a gallon of 99 ron.

That is on 60 mph roads and at speeds at or below this due to many many cameras.

& even on the Motorways around the Central Belt of Scotland due to lots of 50 mph Average Speed Camera Road Work Areas, 

and some getting to the NSL for Motorways, more than 40 miles from each gallon.

Twinchargers just love cool or cold, even damp cool air, winter tyres and good octane fuel.

(& no head or side winds or extra weight carried.)

Do a bit of slipstreaming/drafting, a bit of freewheeling down long downhill stretches and over 50 mpg possible and when one has vent filled the tank a range of over 600 miles possible. I miss the Fabia 2 VRSs roll-on performance but not its searching for high octane 99 octane fuel ie Shell (expensive for what it is), or Momentum.  Shame on VAG for not dropping the excellent 192 hp duel injection 1.8 TSI engine in to the mark 3 Fabia chasis, would have been quite a fun and good value car if priced fairly.

Now I have to content myself with the comfortable but relatively dull Dacia TCE engined machines.  At least I am not tempted to go above 110 as it cannot do it.  Getting nicked at 130/140 in the Fabia, as some guy with a 2 litre diesel thinks he is a match up to 2 x NSL puts my licence and freedom in less jeopardy. The 60 mpg from these batch of 3 cylinder turbo petrols and therefore getting up to 700 mile range is great for the pocket when effectively have to run on 18 or even 10 pence a mile ie 40% of the Treasury mileage rates, easier on £1 a litre fuel.

Mis the old Audi A4 with its 1,000 mile range on its excellent 1.9PD 130 hp engine, same engine as Fabia 1 VRS of course. Reckon I could get 600 miles out of the V6 Jaag with its excellent Ford Duratec engine and ZF gearbox combo ie 40 mpg and 15 gallon tank.  Wonder the farthest anyone has travelled in a PHEV?  Most miles between tanks in any car is about 1500 mile I gather ie a "clean" diesel Passat, wonder what the emission were like?  

Edited by lol-lol

The DSG is fine going downhill, in 'D'  or 'S' and back to 'D' on steepest descents if it suits.

Instant MPG can go to 200 mpg even.

No need to chose 'N'.   & as for coasting, slipstreaming or such Hypermiling, 

stuff that on roads and air temperature around 0*oC. 

Keep your distance and let the HGV see you in their mirrors and that can be good enough, and then you can get along just fine through average speed areas, and even on longer trips where the HGV or van is doing the speed you want.

lol-lol,

re post #64.

One is Chief Executive Officer and President.

The other is Executive Vice President & International President.??

(Maybe titles wrong on the web, and one is a Cuckoo in the nest as well.)

I wonder when the VW Emissions Scandal Investigations means the Head of VW in the USA up to 2010 (Stefan Jacoby) gets to questioning the person responsible for Importing the vehicles to the US.

Today in mixed weather, Dry & Wet Roads and driving in Snow and Sleet, and all within Speed Limits, 

lots of them.

post-86161-0-61170400-1455207738_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-97124100-1455207773_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-29212500-1455207799_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-13655900-1455207834_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-81529800-1455207874_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-91679200-1455207950_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-69876600-1455207987_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-50863200-1455208023_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-40517600-1455208053_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-76977200-1455208089_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-69056200-1455208115_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

Doesn't the DSG use more fuel when coasting downhill in Neutral? Can't see how that'd be beneficial :l

The amount of fuel for tick-over is absolutely minute.  Dis-engaging the engine ie freewheeling means there is a lot less friction and therefore the vehicles slows down a lot less than keeping it in gear so the net effect ie when you climb the next hill or finish the journey means you have used less fuel.  It works as demonstrated by my trip of over 600 miles on a single tank and I still had a couple of litres left in the tank.  Yes a bit boring but an interesting exercise. 

Thermo-dynamic analysis, setting the system boundary as the car and not just the engine and at the period of going down the hill.  3 laws of Thermo, 3 laws safe. (there is a zeroth law but it only concerns temperature)

https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

Edited by lol-lol