VRS- 2010, 2011 or 2013 Cat D?

The go ahead for a new car has been given and I think we have settled on a VRS. The budget is up to £7500 ish and we seem to have 3 options over a few different cars. For some background we do around 8,000 miles a year and will be keeping the car for a long time, hopefully 8 years, or maybe more.

The first, and cheapest at around £6500-7000 is a 2010 with around 50,000 miles on it. There seem to be some with a lot of nice extras on them.

Second is a 2011 model with 50,000 miles on it. It has a decent amount of extras but not masses, and not the cruise control or heated seats on the 2010s. This is about £7500.

The final one is a 2013 with only 14,000 miles on for about £7500. It looks good and the low mileage and non-CAVE engine really appeals to us. But is is a Cat D. This doesn't bother me too much- resale isn't a concern as we will run it until it is scrap.

What option sounds best to you guys, who know a lot more about them than me? We would be backing it up with an third party warranty. The older ones appeal because they haven't been written off, but I am wary of the older engines. Also the low mileage of the newer car should mean we can keep it for longer and it will hopefully have less mechanical costs in the future.

Thanks

Details of the 2013 and reason for being CAT D is what is required,

?

Stolen Recovered,  Fire, Flood or Road Accident, repaired or rebuilt by who. ?

What parts were required if a Road Accident, Front Crumple Zone parts replaced with new, Electrics all checked.

Engine & Gearbox all checked. ?

?

Where are you buying the Warranty from, and how much is it going to cost?

• Like 1

Goneoffski- they are questions I have yet to ask, still got to look at all these and if it doesn't look right I won't be going for it.

The warranty is from Warranty Direct or GI Car Warranty at a cost of about £350 for 3 years for their uprated rather than basic cover so the turbo, dsg and electronics are covered.

Best check out the T&C's of a Warranty that cheap.

Turbo is not really a Major Worry,

it is the Base Engine, & that is a £4.500 Warranty Invoice.  & the DSG, £2,500.

Electrics and less expensive stuff is not what you need to be sure you have cover on with a Twincharger,

but obviously you want them covered.

Goneoffski, I have had a good look unto them and it does cover everything that is a known issue.

Keith, can't get your link to work but if it's the meteor grey one then yes.

• Like 1

If resale isnt an issue, itd really depend on the details of that third Cat D for me.

If all the paperworks present, details are there, reputable company etc etc maybe some pics would be nice too, then why not

If you cant find out much, its abit of a shot in the dark IMO, and i wouldnt be happy not knowing.

• Like 2

goneoffSKi- we'll not be towing with the VRS, I'm aware it's not type approved. It was the first thing they asked when I was phoning the towbar places- "is it a VRS?"! If we're going anywhere that'll need the tow bar bike rack or the boat we'll be in the Monte.

We're going to see four over the weekend, with a bit of luck. I've got a good long list of things to ask about and look at on the Cat D car. The rest are 2010-2011 cars and I'll see how they are.

Edited by Lukeb
  • Like 1

Out of interest, so I can check on the service history, do the VRSs have cambelts? From what I gather they run chains, but just wanted to check.

OK, and one last question- would there be any merit in buying another Monte Carlo, but a petrol and getting it mapped to say 130hp? Would that offer anything like the same experience? The negativity surrounding the 1.4 TFSI engine is starting to niggle at me.

Edited by Lukeb