Fabia VRS - Door Micro switch issue

Hi all

Notice my headlight warning light didn't come on today.  Had my colleague at work tell me my lights were on and then had the neighbour tell me the same thing when I got home...the shame...

Anyway after reading through the stuff here, I can say it's the micro switch in the door or a dodgy connection.  The trim door light doesn't come on when I open the driver door when key in ignition but comes on when the front passenger door is opened. The indicator sounds still works so assume it's not the buzzer on the instrument panel.

I've got a number of questions, hoping you guys can help:

1) I found that I can remove the door trim on my Fabia by following this instruction for the Octavia: 

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/126257-octavia-1-replacing-door-latch-microswitch/?hl=microswitch  

Is that the case before I crack on?

2) Are there multiple switches in the door trim? I couldn't find a photo as to what the inside of the door looks like but read some comments which implied there might be.

3) Are there newer type of switches I can buy now which is a direct drop-in replacement? According to the thread above. the switch purchased requires some fretting which I rather avoid if possible.

4) I would like the check the connection between the door and ECU first, maybe spray some connector cleaners.  Is there a way to access that or is that still hidden away inside the door trim?

Appreciate your feedback on this and/or additional pointers I should look out for.  Thanks 

Door carrier removal guide http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/119359-removing-the-ancillaries-carrier/

The microswitch in question is mounted on the exterior of the door lock mechanism and it is not available as a separate part. You can buy similar switches but it requires some skill to get them to fit and work. Other than that you would need a new lock unit complete with switch.

Do your doors lock themselves if you don't put the key in the ignition before 30 seconds even with drivers door open?

Yea, just tried it at lunchtime.

Door locks itself within 10 sec....

Yeah, microswitch definitely buggered then.

I read an old thread that it was less than £100.00 from the dealer for the whole unit...that's quite a significant inflation.

So it's £155.00 plus a couple hour job?

Yeah mate, that was just the part, labour was extra.  My mate did mine for free but unless you know someone you will have labour on top.  I had to get the rivets from TPS aswel which was a pain as l did not know it was rivets till it was tore down.  

Cheers

TMB - thanks for the link.  The job isn't urgent so I want to check the door connection first before purchasing a replacement lock mechanism.

Bree9482 - Do you have a TPS link for the trim rivets? And how many do I need?

Guess I need to drill them out and press the new ones in.

Thanks in advance guys

Edited by nightkid

TMB - thanks for the link.  The job isn't urgent so I want to check the door connection first before purchasing a replacement lock mechanism.

Bree9482 - Do you have a TPS link for the trim rivets? And how many do I need?

Guess I need to drill them out and press the new ones in.

Thanks in advance guys

Im sorry i dont, l just called them, iirc its 2 different sizes and not all cars have the rivets, dont quote me on that tho...  They were maga cheap like £4 or something

Earlier cars (up to about 2003) used bolts in the door carrier but later ones use pop rivets. The rivets are 6.4 x10mm. Part number N91078801

You need a big enough rivet gun to fit them, such as a lazy tong riveter.

Edited by TMB

I'd recommend one of the cheap ebay units. I bought one off these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171395643840&alt=web last week to do my front passenger side and the unit was exactly the same as the oem one I removed, minus the sticker, same markings on it in the same place etc. So I'd go down that route instead of the £100+ dealer option. Took me 3 and a half hours to do too.

• Like 1

I'd recommend one of the cheap ebay units. I bought one off these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171395643840&alt=web last week to do my front passenger side and the unit was exactly the same as the oem one I removed, minus the sticker, same markings on it in the same place etc. So I'd go down that route instead of the £100+ dealer option. Took me 3 and a half hours to do too.

Looks good but that one is for the left door.

Anyone know the OEM part number for the original part so I can cross reference it against the ebay one?

3B2837016R superseded by 3B2837016AA

Looks good but that one is for the left door.

Yeah that was just a link to the exact one I purchased (passenger side) just to show an example. Noticed they've put the price up though as I only paid £30 last week!

I'd message the seller with your reg and get them to confirm it'll fit- that way it's on them if it doesn't. As there's apparently a fair few variations of the lock module, how much they vary I don't know. I rang the dealer to get the part number of mine but none on ebay matched, apart from a couple of second hand ones. So I messaged that seller with reg etc and they sent me one and all was well. Funnily enough, the part number on the one I removed was different to the one given to me from the dealer anyway!

For reference the part number on the lock I removed was (front passenger side) 3b2837015ag