First Impressions on returning to a Yeti... ...

Freshacre

I'm just about to go in the opposite direction George, just ordered a 1.4 tsi Octavia SEL with extra xenon lights. Was tempted by another 1.2 yeti tsi but I've started doing some more motorway trips again so the yeti's economy isn't too great when you get above 60. Will be interesting to see how it goes. 

The yeti has been the most problem ridden Skoda I've ever owned but then it's the first one in 20 years that I have kept for more than three years.

Edited by domhnall
  • Like 1

I'm just about to go in the opposite direction George, just ordered a 1.4 tsi Octavia SEL with extra xenon lights. Was tempted by another 1.2 yeti tsi but I've started doing some more motorway trips again so the yeti's economy isn't too great when you get above 60. Will be interesting to see how it goes. 

The yeti has been the most problem ridden Skoda I've ever owned but then it's the first one in 20 years that I have kept for more than three years.

The Xenon lights in my view (!) are so worth it.  Before the Yeti I had never appreciated just how good good lights could be!

In terms of reliability, my original Yeti didn't have many hassles at all, whereas the 'Berb had some pretty serious issues eating tyres and vibration.  Sinclair got to the bottom of it by finding TWO faults - the settings were markedly out in terms of chassis set up - and there was a pulverised wheel bearing too!

I hope you enjoy better motoring in the Octavia - and certainly better economy.  I found the 170 engine gave decent economy coupled with some electrifying performance.

Interestingly this L and K 170 DSG is costing about £300 to insure where the superb was only £210 with Allianz who have the Yeti in "special measures" insurance-wise - and yet they underpin Skoda insurance for them, as they do for BMW .

the motoring in the yeti has been fine, it's great fun to drive on twisty roads but when we load up for a family trip and have to take Christmas presents then packing can be "interesting". Economy is never better than 38 mpg and the air con failed twice and we had to have the interior replaced after 3 months due to the sunroof drains being installed so they drained INSIDE the car. Since those were fixed it has been trouble free.  

• Like 1

.  One distinct advantage, and this especially for Wakev, I can now manage to run the gauntlet of all the farm collies in the county simply because they cannot see the thing.  It so merges with the mud that, to them, it is just another mound of mud dropped by their man on manoeuvres!

George 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 1

There are still many things about my Yetis that I miss - I think George has picked up on most of them - but like domhnall I found 'economy' on the motorway pretty dreadful in both 2.0 diesel and 1.8 petrol versions that I owned, and I have found that, despite 'retirement', I now do more motorway driving than I thought I would, with grandchildren in Milton Keynes and another (well, on the way!) in Rotherham.  My 1.6 diesel Qashqai, despite the smaller engine and (I would guess) heavier car, and also 4x4 like both Yetis, is much easier on the juice.  Computer readouts used to give me about 47mpg overall in the diesel Yeti, 34mpg overall in the petrol yeti but 53+ in the Qashqai: quite a difference (and the insurance and road tax are significantly cheaper).

Yes, I miss many of the Yeti's qualities (although the QQ has some compensatory features) and might well return to the fold IF Skoda produce a LWB version and IF the new engines are more economical AND lower tax-rated.

The "cost to change" a car way exceeds any running costs, and yet we'll happily fork out for the thrill of a fresh set of wheels and that intoxicating 'new car' smell.

That said, like you Inspector, I resent a £60-70 brim-up, and the annuals of tax and insurance, though in reality it is something we would willingly keep paying in order to retain the freedom that a car brings.

Funny people, people!