is this normal?

right have a intercooler ready at work, hoses coming tomorrow ordered  just incase the hoses leak but wanted to do it anyway.  so hopefully will be fitted tomorrow then no more issues!!

ok so heres the story,     intercoolr and pipes arrived, managed to blag my boss into letting me do it during work! got my technician to help a hand,  bumper off lights off all good, intercooler pipes fine,. then the fun began some serious rusty bolts on the intercooler, one was so tight we thought it would snap, heat and rock eze thanks rock oil! 

managed to get them off, the one nut had loosned so we had to get spanner on the back of it captive my arse! eventually out pops intercooler gentles with the screws on the map as they are rusty,  then disaster they have sent the wrong intercooler, description says 12mm actual size 18 ******,   rang around no intercoolers , rang again gsf had a map sensor 18mm, ring skoda all good to use a 18mm, sweet!   gsf parts here i come, oh its 12mm ****! eventually he finds a 2003 one 18mm sweet! back to work start fitting, new intercooler and new hoses, much easier to fit!!! 

so all seems ok but due to traffic i cant be 100% its cured but the tests i did seemed all good,. 

the pipe for top of the intercooler was bit long so we trimmed it down but theres a small kink see picture , will this be ok or do i need to trim some more#/#;.??

IMAG0016_zpshl14sfpg.jpg

IMAG0015_zpswtuzcrov.jpg

Sounds like you had fun! Yes those bolts and the MAP bolts are just in the right place to catch drips when you open bonnet and spillage from windscreen bottle unfortunately. So do you now have the right sized MAP for your port? All those numbers confused me lol...

As for the hose yes you need to trim a bit more to get the kink out, probably not much though so be careful. You just need enough off to allow you to slide it up a wee bit more. I also found attaching it to throttle body first and then however it sits on the cooler as long as there's plenty of overlap meant it was less likely to try and slide off.

• Like 1

yes eventually not happy tho cost me a extra 30 quid for the right map for the cooler! ****ers sending me the wrong part!!!  ok ill try and snip a bit more off tmorrow,.  not exactly a barrell of laughs today , plus i had to screws from the bumper or side plastics left over!! hate it when it happens!

Did you find where they went? I always forget the bottom ones inside the arch. Last time I forgot the under bumper ones in the centre, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off for a while haha. Yes bit of a bummer but a new MAP won't do the system any harm. How clean was the throttle body looking? I found first time I did the cooler similar to yourself, my MAP screws were screwed, proper ceased, fortunately the heads snapped off which made it easier. I quite enjoyed doing it last time though.

Trimming small lengths off silicone hose is a bit tricky to do neat, make sure knife is very sharp and tighten a jubilee clip round as a guide.

• Like 1

think i found s home for them in the end, did confuse me for a bit!!    was a easy job if it wernt for the hassle of wrong cooler! next step plugs and the front door lock should be fun that one. after doing the rear door bit more confident tho. 

ok o tighten up a jubilee clip snip off bit at a time got it, , need to fit 3 more pipes, where does the right angle one go?

Not done that is it up somewhere before the pancake pipe? Don't quote me on that someone will know, still quite new to the bay myself.

But yeah get a jubilee round quite tight but don't squash it, cut straight through against the clip and keep going rather than sawing or doing it bit by bit. You can then go round and trim any weird bits to get it flush. You can also flash a lighter over the cuts quickly which will burn off any of the frayed string that gets revealed. The sharper and stronger the knife the easier it is to get in the groove and keep going.

so ran the car a bit on way to work, seemed much better but....... seems the revs dnt drop now but do hold for a second around 4k, 

plugs will be changed at weekend,. 

hhmm, glad it's getting there, make sure they're at 0.7mm gap, could be the sparks getting a bit blown out.  Take it all other pipework was fine?  Could try unplugging MAF again now main problem has gone away, and/or get another vcds scan...could be an N75 thing, but yes, try plugs next

When you cleaned the throttle body did you disconnect it from the loom?, if so throttle body may need to be realigned or left to sort itself after a few journeys.

no im pretty sure it was all left connected i never touched the cables

so todays jobs, fitted new plugs old ones were bone dry , certainly not rich running there, !  fitted dv pipe and n75 pipe from creations kit, tried to fit the right angle pipe seems i ****ed that up hard one to fit, so fitted original one back on for now. 

begining to think it is clutch issue as said above,. not map or leaky pipes , but i wouldve thought it would slip in low revs when i floored it , but then again if its slipping when the boost comes on kinda makes sense it cant cope with power.   any way did some ebaying earlier, found a guy local selling a vr6 clutch kit and g60 flywheel, picked it up £140 earlier, so just need to find a garage who are compentent enuff to fit this and keep my fingers crossed, clutch does seem a wee bit high and my first thought was it sounded clutchy,    any thoughts????

Like yourself I would expect revs to climb more than speed but I guess it could be a pressure plate thing. Anyway that's a decent price on that clutch, is it a sachs one? If clutch is high it could point in that direction. As you've got one you may as well give it a try. The list is getting shorter, struggling to think of other causes now to be honest.

• Like 1