Engine overheating 150ps 4x4

Glad you got it sorted. Obviously a dodgy batch of them.

TPI means Technical Product Information.

It is as you say that they are aware of a problem and are fixing it... but not a full recall as such.

Phil

Yes, what is known in the manufacturing base a "fix on fail" so will be replaced if it fails

Looks like Baz555 had the same water pump issue with his vRS. Hopefully the faulty batch wasn't too big!

All fixed now thanks.. only took them 6 working days to fix it..!!

All fixed now thanks.. only took them 6 working days to fix it..!!

Think my garage would have took as long if I hadn't told them I was pretty sure it was the water pump as I'd read several Golf, A3 and Octy owners have issues.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone.
I would like to share my experience.
I had exactly the same problem of overheating engine.
After changing the thermostat , the problem persists . Thanks to the experiences described in this forum , I decided to change the water pump . Which resulted is stuck in the poscición heating .
I bought the water pump remanufacturing with the number 04L121011EX
I leave the image of pump failure

thump_9545296file000.jpg 

Edited by Sebadsg

• 2 weeks later...

Had the overheat issues for the first time this evening, about 5 miles after leaving work. Just got up to 70 in 6th then the MFD lit up saying 'STOP - Engine overheat!', alarms sounding and the temp gauge was in the red. Pulled over but left it idling and the gauge immediately started dropping back to normal. Took less than a minute I suppose to return to the centre mark. Drove the remaining 40 miles home with no further symptoms, even at 'normal' cruising speed.

Will see how she behaves tomorrow morning, but from what I've read this sounds like imminent water pump failure I guess?

Car has covered about 57K miles

Edited by VRsMars

This appears to be a common fault as I had the waterpump go in november, I wrote about it >here<.  I would strongly advise anyone getting their car recovered to be extra vigilant about large and diamond cut wheels (as on the vRS) as all four of mine have had to be replaced due to recovery (see thread) at a cost of almost £1400.

Looking on the internets it appears to be a well known fault with Golf's as well. 

I wouldn't advise you drive after it happens as overheating a diesel is a very bad thing.

Edited by gullyg

Thanks. Was fine this morning, but it started to show the same symptoms coming home again this evening. I was watching the temp gauge like a hawk! The temp rose past normal to about 2 o'clock and I eased off and it dropped back. Then stayed at normal the rest of the way home.

Not chancing it any more. Am calling the dealer first thing tomorrow!

Got my car back today, got a little report saying what they had done:

Not sure what a TPI is, is that because it's a known fault? Or just the procedures for detecting a pump issue?

Am I reading this right, they fitted the same timing belt back on the car. Or did they fit a new belt, I hope it's the second as you cannot re-use timing belts once they have been fitted and tensioned.

water pump failure of my Octavia 1.6 TDI CHLA.

Vehicle data:

Octavia 1.6 TDI CHLA

Year 2014

Km: 46700.

Coolant: Factory G13.

The failure began to introduce to find my way to work on the highway, when the alarm temperature, seeing the marker this was at 130C °, slow down immediately and I stepped aside, the temperature began to drop rapidly reaching 90C ° (normal).

I continued my way and starts to rise again, this time I stop for a longer time.

Check radiator for obstruction but there was nothing.

I followed up and the fault is not resubmitted.

The next day he returned to fail in the same way but do not let the temperature continue to rise.

One of the first components to check was the thermostat which buy and change

After changing the thermostat I go out with the car at a road test, and the fault is repeated in the same way, this only occurs when the car is stopped for long periods of time.

The information indicates that manufactures know this problem under number 2039483/6 called TPI.

Which indicates that having a failure of this type should change the water pump for the following part numbers.

04L-121-011EX (recently renovated)

04L-121-011-E (NEW)

It turns out that the pump has a solenoid and a plaque that act together to accelerate the process of heating the engine, preventing the blades generate water flow.

Some of these components failure and let the pump in heating mode.

Since the change was made pump the problem has not been resubmitted.

I leave images.

regards

kboms3.jpg

2zxy0ly.jpg

72x2mp.jpg

2h4df0k.jpg

Just to close this off from me, I have to say my local dealer, Sparshatts, were excellent. I rolled up unannounced at 8am last Wednesday and the manager said 'are we expecting you?'. I said 'no' and explained the symptoms and he asked why hadn't I called so they could have booked me in. Went on to say that although he would take the car straight away he didn't have anything available for me to drive away in as a loan. I told him I needed transport for my 100 mile round trip commute and had to get to work so would continue to drive it and take it steady and call Skoda assist if it broke down. 'Hmm' he says. 'Have you got your license on you?'. 'Yes' was my reply. 

20 minutes later I'm on the way to work in a Citigo (not a bad little car I have to say, considering its size and three cyl engine). They called me at 5 the same day to say that my car was ready to collect! Water pump and cambelt replaced under warranty. Popped in a 8 the next day to collect and it was all shiny clean as well.

Can't complain, and the car is running faultlessly.

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I have the same symptoms here on my MK3 '13 Octavia 2.0 TDI 150.

My issue is finding a water pump. I suspect the model number has been upgraded as the only place I can find the model number quoted above and in stock is eBay. Euro Parts and MPD do not list any water pumps available for my car.

I've yet to call my local Skoda, they have provided awful service to me in the past and poor workmanship on servicing. I'm now out of warranty so would this still be done free of charge by Skoda? I've since been going to a place called VAG Tech only they're quite far and less likely to carry out anything like this for free.

Many thanks.