Power steering fluid loss

Ok, I've done the search and I've not necessarily found the answers I'm looking for.

The car is a 2003 VRS 1.8T and it's the wife's so I rarely drive it myself.

The current rack Has been on since Jun 13 after a similar situation (based on the car's history). A replacement rack and pinion was fitted.

History of the problem:

Few months back, steering makes a whining noise, sounding electric, according to the wife.

On checking the steering fluid it's low. Off to skoda I go and top up with some G005 fluid. Noise disappears.

A month or so later and it's due an MOT. After a check, I notice it has dropped again so a I give it a quick top up for the MOT. It failed the MOT on too much play in a track rod. Track rod replaced.

A few days later. Same whining noise as before. On checking the fluid, it's low again. Topped up.

Next day, at her work, it drops its fluid all over the staff car park. She drives car home (1.5 miles tops - I know, how lazy!) and takes our spare car for work. Car has been sat in front of the garage for nearly a week now (I work away).

Today:

I've just been and had a quick look. Reservoir is more or less empty, bar a bit of fluid in the bottom. There are two oily patches under the sub frame, one each side under the sub frame below where the rack gaiters are, about 10cm in diameter. Obviously the subframe in these two areas is wet. I can't see anything obvious from the top. I will be jacking it up onto stands tomorrow to conduct further investigation.

Questions:

Where should I be looking?

How easy is it to change the rack?

How do I get the sub-frame off?

Is there a guide?

Cheers in advance

Chris.

This happened to mine, if it is coming from the rack gaiters, then it is a blown seal and a new rack I'm afraid. You could just double check you haven't blown a hard line to the rack, but blown racks are not unknown I'm afraid.

Worst case, you lose all power assistance, if that happens, eat plenty of spinach as you will need arms like Popeye. :giggle:

TBH if the reservoir is empty, I cant see you making 5 miles, let alone 50, just my opinion based on how mine went.

Ok, just had this on the stands today. If it's leaking its coming from the gaiters. Drivers side at a guess as that's where the sub frame is wet the most. There's also a patch under it on the floor.

So, on further investigation, the gaiter was loose so I stuck a new zip tie on. I've re-filled the reservoir and ran it up for about 10 mins turning the wheel left to right. No signs of any leaks as yet. I'm gonna leave it parked up for a week and see if it leaks again.

In the meantime I'm gonna source a replacement rack. Removing the sub frame seams simple enough. No doubt it will be a bit fiddly from experience working on VAGs.