New VRS 2010 TFSI - What should I do?

Just purchased one of these lovely cars, with just over 40k on the clock.   I have been reading about the chain tensioners, and wondered, should I be looking to get mine replaced as a precaution?   Is it worth taking to a dealer and discussing?   Just trying to work out what my options are, or whether mine has the problem.

Appreciate any feedback, Tom.

Firstly, welcome newbie!

I've considered this too mate but I have had mine just over two years and now on 53k.

Also, something that baffled me for ages, think yours will be a TSi (rather than TFSi) as its a facelift.

sorry for the hijack but will be keen to see replies.

If its a 2010 model it will have the defective part unless it has already been changed. That does not mean that it will definitely fail but it does mean it is more likely to do so.

The failure seems to happen at many different mileages. I personally would change the tensioner and the camshaft bridge but then I am biased because I had to pay for a new engine. There may be many more users who never had any trouble and maybe you will be one of them.

PS 2010 engines are TSI i.e. CCZA engine code

Thanks, do you know how much roughly those fixes cost?  Does getting it replaced guarantee the problem/issue won't occur?  Am I preaching to the converted when I ask why Skoda wouldn't do a recall on this sort of thing?  Finally how do I find my engine code?

Thanks Tom.

Tom

It should be in your log book or there should be a sticker on 1st page of your service book, if not there should be a sticker under the boot mat near the spare.

Cant help you on the tensioner as mine is a CR

Paul

Thanks, yeh looks like I have a CCZA lump......Just trying to work out if it makes sense to get preemptive work done, or if I am worrying about something that in the grand scheme of this is unlikely to happen?

Mine has got the Tsi engine also. No rattles or noises on start up so am not even worried. Mine has now done about 40K miles. Even though the car has an extended warranty I still dont even think about it as the chances of it happening are slim.

I bought my 59 plate vrs over a year a go and with almost 50K miles on clock now so far no issues.  Listen for rattle noise coming from the left side of the engine on start up (last for 1 or 2 sec) as it might be a sign of the tensioner failing. Honestly though worrying stops you  enjoying the car. If it's under warranty i'll wait till warranty runs out then change tensioner if you're still concern. 

• Like 1

Cost of new engine £5k, cost of tensioners £500?. Why are you even asking.

Seriously if you can afford the cost just change the party's and ease the worry

If you have doubts take action to change the parts

If you don't then fate plays a hand

We change bits early and will continue to do so. Just in case.

• Like 1

new tensioner is a revised / improved part.  I think it's got a spring behind it to keep a constant tension on the chain.  

The reason the original tensioners causes problems is that it operates soley off oil pressure & when the engine is off it retracts back into it's hole and the timing chain goes slack.  When the car is started it's supposed to pressurise immediately & tighten the chain.  If the piston doesn't extend immediately or if the engine moves in the opposite direction with the chain slack (it's happened) then a catastrophic failure occurs.

Listen for a rattle on start-up that lasts more than 2 seconds.  I think it's more likely if you are on extended service intervals (dirtier oil & galleries) but that's a personal opinion with no basis in fact.

• Like 2