Really getting annoyed now, hot start issue

After having a new sachs dmf and clutch and gates Cambelt kit fitted the car starts with a big shudder and loud almost missfire sound when up to temperature. I have changed the coolant sensor and battery with no luck. Am now looking at a new starter motor. The car has been back to the mechanic who did the work but he can't find any fault though he accepts there us an issue. Anyone have any ideas?

I've got the same problem with hot starting, I just live with it. As mentioned in other posts about this it can be one of four things. Battery, Starter motor, Coolant sensor or Cam position sensor.

I've thrown so much money into the car now I have lost count. I'd estimate having spent around 20% more on the car than its actually worth. Crazy I know but I do this stuff, I guess the spending will go on.

You can do a current draw test to establish if the starter is at fault, I used to work at a local dealer and this was a common issue, a battery & / or a starter always used to fix the fault, check the cam / crank sensor correlation too, If cam sensor is faulty is should record a fault for G249 IIRC?

Check your engine/body earths too

Hope that helps

Tris

I have no faults at all on the car now Tris, I have been pretty ruthless in replacing bits with the best I could get hence my disappointment. I guess the starter is the next port if call, beyond that I don't know. I did have a look at all the earth's I could see but will go over them again.

Not yet into the MK 2 in detail but on the MK1, failure to start when hot is a common issue because the engine is inhibited if the cranking speed has not reached the minimum required of about 250 rpm. Usually a battery problem but can be anything that reduces cranking revs such as corroded terminals or brushes in the starter.

Quick check is to see if it starts immediately using jump leads when hot. If it starts then look for anything that reduces cranking speed. To be clear, 250 rpm is above the speed at which many people used to to older car designs would say "it's turning over alright".

May be different on the MK2  but worth knowing as a pointer.

Why only when hot? the 250 rpm does not apply to a cold engine start.

It always starts first time but just makes a loud pop and rocks the engine when doing it. I need to find all the earth's I think and maybe clean terminals to the starter. Thanks for suggestions