Fuse Box Ignition Live

I'm intending to hardwire a dashcam into my Fabia at the weekend. I have the hardwire kit and need to find a fuse in the dash panel fuse box that's only live when the ignition is on.

I'm thinking fuse 51, the heated mirrors. I'm assuming they only operate when the ignition's on.

Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know what type of fuses they are? Standard? Mini?

I'm in a different car today and need to order the fuse tap.

I used the rear wash wipe as that one was the most accessible on the Ocy III, but a multi meter would be the easiest way to check out which ones are suitable switched live fuses.

As for the piggy back fuse tap, I have a spare with a 3A fuse that I can send you (no charge), PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post for you  :happy:

look at the unused fuse holes, if there is a brass contact at the back, this is fuse holder that has live feed just push your piggy back fuse into this giving you an independent feed instead of tapping into another fuse that's in use

look at the unused fuse holes, if there is a brass contact at the back, this is fuse holder that has live feed just push your piggy back fuse into this giving you an independent feed instead of tapping into another fuse that's in use

Top tip! I hadn't thought of looking at the empty slots. I can see a busy session ahead with the multimeter.

There were a couple of unused fuse locations with contacts but they were permanently live. I've opted for the heated seat circuit in the end.

I did the wife's dashcam in her Fabia a few weeks ago too - went for the front heated seats :)

As I hadn't got all the parts, I initially thought I'd power the dashcam from the USB (next to the cigarette lighter), however for whatever reason - low voltage perhaps? - it wouldn't provide enough power. So ordered a cigarette adapter, and a piggy-back fuse blade.

Annoyingly I had already cabled down the passenger side and behind the glovebox but fortunately my cabling could stretch over to the fusebox. :)

• 5 months later...

I did this job using a Halfords kit - http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/nextbase-incarcam-hardwire-kit

You can get cheaper kits but this came with two different sized fuse taps and was good quality with a mini (not micro) USB connection.  Biggest problem was finding a solid earth connection because the two obvious small bolts at either end of the fuse panel are not earthed.  I had to use an existing bolt through the firewall, just to the right of the brake pedal and connect to that - there's enough thread to put a nut on top of what's there to secure the spade connector without disturbing the bolt in the firewall.

Also having finished & tested the installation, when you turn off the ignition the camera should power off if you've chosen the correct fuse, you should also test by taking the dash cam fuse out of the tap and start the engine.  If the camera powers up the tap is installed the wrong way round and power is not going through the fuse.  Simple to fix - just take the fuse tap out & rotate it 180 degrees and plug it back in - retest then put the fuse back in.

• Like 1

Nextbase Car Camera Hard Wire Kit - For Nextbase 402G, 302G, 202 Lite and 101 Go in car cameras https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XHYSQAC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_MAxuwb5HDJGVQ

£11.95 on Amazon. Thanks for this though. Had to do it the hard way on my Octavia with splicing and crimping wires. This will be much easier in the wife's Fabia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk