Discs and pads problems

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help with my recent probs with my front discs and pads.

Today I had the front discs and pads replaced for the 3rd, yes 3rd time in about 12/15 months on my Fabia II 1.4 TDi combi.

The original discs/pads were replaced due to wear at about 55k and I used my local factor to supply the parts (Pagid).

Then at the beginning of this year(Jan) I had to remove them because of juddering from the front when braking.  Good enough, the local factor took 'em back and replaced them under warranty (with Bosch units).  

This week at 68k and whilst on holiday, the juddering returned, this time more severe,  so, off it went to Kwikfit for their free brake check and they initially said that they couldn't find anything wrong with them although there was some shudder when braking at a speed in excess of 40mph.

This was confirmed both by road test and their rolling road equipment.

They then checked the rears and they said that apart from a bit of brake dust everything looked OK! 

They stripped the fronts down and checked them but couldn't honestly say(their words!) that there was anything wrong.

So I told them to replace the discs and pads which they did and now the brakes are back to normal.

Now, I have to say that this is the first time that I have used K/Fit but there was method in my madness.  

1. They do a free no obligation brake check.  2. They were able to do it almost right away (important when you're on holiday!)  3.They're National so that I could go to my local branch if there was where any further problems and 4. You get a 12 month no quibble warranty on discs (I felt I might need it!) and a lifetime replacement of pads!

Now, my driving style is more like Captain Slow and I do not live on my brakes. I use the gearbox just like I was trained (like investments, they can go up as well as down!)

I asked the Mechanics if there was anything wrong with my fitting of the parts and they said that everything had looked OK to them.

They were actually reluctant to change the parts as they looked quite new and unworn.

But change them they did and now the the brakes are like new again.

So, whats causing the warping of the discs,  anyone have any ideas?

I'd be grateful for any input.

Best Rgds

Dawpooldad

Where any of them actually warped or only corroded?

It was easy enough for anyone that was checking the discs and replacing them to check if they had warped.

The discs might even have been suitable for skimming, but seeing as replacements many will not do that.

I do sometimes get discs skimmed because i have someone good that does them cheaply.

Discs should outlast pads, maybe 2 or 3 sets of pads to a set of Discs..

How much did the work at Kwik-Fit cost?

I have read it some where,when after stopping , not to keep your foot on the brake pedal,as the local heat 'after heavy braking' can cause the disc to warp.Did they check for warpage with a clock and pointer? .I also think that 'cheap' brake pads can cause problems as well.

• Like 1

if its warped due to heavy braking i always try to make sure the car is still rolling even if it's a tiny bit to move the heat around the disc, this is when vented discs help, also if you have esp or whatever skoda calls it and you've been throwing it around corners or roundabouts to carry the speed through this will cause the system to kick in and brake each wheel independently, ive had it on my VRS where i've been gunning it through some corners and found i've got a bit of pad fade when i go to hit the brakes.

Hi guys

thanks for the replies.  In answer to them, under the circumstances, being on holiday dictated Kwikfit as they did the testing and replaced the parts and cured the problem within 4 hours.

I would have preferred to have been at home, with access to my regular parts factor, workshop, tools, dial gauge and possibly a lathe, but with my family on board its a fait accompli and a cost of £200 that I have to swallow!

I was tempted to to think about the sticky caliper and as I said the mechanics said everything else looked and checked out ok.

The car is a family estate and has been owned virtually from new and never been raced or rallied, well certainly not by me (can't vouch for the wife though!!!)  It doesn't have Esp and is not thrown around corners or indeed the victim of heavy braking.

I don't think that the theory of keeping you foot on the brake after braking applies to my driving style but it is certainly something for me to think about.

But remember that this is the second set of discs and pads that have gone wonky!

Oh, and one last thing, Kwikfit gave me the old parts back, bagged and boxed, for me to take back!

Rgds

Dawpooldad 

In the case of disk run out - it is usually identifiable by markings around the disk itself. (Especially where disk thickness/width variations are present - this is easily measurable.)

High and low spots have a colour diiference as a giveaway. High spots are normally of a blue colour.

Cause? mostly overheating due to the slide compensation impaired/stuck - this in turn heats up the brake fluid - which in turn effects all four brakes and partially applies brake system pressure.

I would also point out that cheapo disks are not an economic purchase, and this together with obscure pad brands to save money is not the way to go. Original pads are specially formulated to heat up to a certain operating temperature that can result in proper retardation charactoristics. Set ups that are not able to provide the same measure of efficiency cause drivers to apply brakes for longer periods to achieve the same end.

Years ago it was all the rage to fit 'hard' brake linings or pads - these did not reach the designed operating temperature, and braking efficiency was in fact impaired.

So bad were the resultant problems that I was deputed to meet with several large fleet operation managers to insist that this practice was stopped by their own internal maintenance staff..

Play safe with brakes, and get the proper items everytime. Sorry to rant on about this, but when replacing brake pads/shoes - be sure about operation of calipers

Double acting calipers can have sticky pistons, whereas single action calipers with slide compensation can suffer from both piston lazyness + partial seizure of the slides. Throwing in a set of pads/shoes does require a proper approach - there is far more to it than most people realise.

• Like 1