Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

I have been told two things today, Skoda UK on Twitter say they are working on it still . Customer services are saying mirrorlink will not work with IPhone duh tell me something i don't already know [emoji35]they then say smartlink cannot be retro fitted to my car and sygic will not work thought blue tooth. But here is the big point Mirrorlink is not a Skoda product so this does not constitute a defect with the car . I read in to that they that are doing absolutely nothing about it and trying wriggle out of it all together!!!!

Of course they are going to wriggle - nowhere was it written that mirror link would ever support the iPhone, or many other phones. It was just implied or even promised by sales staff - that is where things will become more tricky. Mis-sold is very different to just 'it doesn't do everything I wanted it to'

Also if they admit it's an issue they'd have to recall and change all. Whereas I suspect they will aim to only correct it in those who kick up a suitable fuss.

I'm just quoting what customer service said today Kev ,but since then Skoda UK on Twitter are asking for my number to help sort this out . I totally agree you though it is their problem . My car has arrived at the dealers today so that's why they want to talk and plus the fact they probably want to shut me up.

Well they are going to have dozens of people to shut up!

I am currently waiting for a call back from Skoda UK myself, all we can do is keep on at them.

Unfortunately I fear that Skoda UK are as poorly informed as we were when we purchased, I would like to speak to someone face to face from Skoda themselves, as I don't think they fully understand the gravity of the problem with the mis-selling aspect.

• Like 2

Of course they are going to wriggle - nowhere was it written that mirror link would ever support the iPhone, or many other phones. It was just implied or even promised by sales staff - that is where things will become more tricky. Mis-sold is very different to just 'it doesn't do everything I wanted it to'

Also if they admit it's an issue they'd have to recall and change all. Whereas I suspect they will aim to only correct it in those who kick up a suitable fuss.

This is the real problem, I certainly have nothing in writing about being told Mirrorlink would be updated for Apple and Android.

It is all conjecture, but if enough people explain that, that was what they were told, then they will have to eventually listen. 

• Like 1

You have a point Oli3000 and Kev, Oli first you could argue that you have been misled not mis-sold Under consumer protection from unfair trading regulations 2014 misleading actions where you could potentially unwind the contract for up to 90 days or accept a discount etc ,if I remember correctly .

Yes Kev nothing writing is the problem the sales brochure quotes "smartphone "not which smart phone . But the more people that explain about this the better.

• Like 2

Skoda UK have told me to go to Motorcodes an independent ombudsman if I feel I have been mislead in any way!

I requested a meeting with someone from Global Skoda at Skoda UK's head office, and was told that probably would not happen.

Have added my comments to Watchdog, and have also contacted Auto Express who are very interested it would seem.

My dealer has also reaffirmed what he told me when I ordered, Skoda could not even answer the questions they asked at the Fabia launch for the dealers regarding Mirrorlink, so the fault for the mis-information firmly lies with them.

Fair play to the dealers (Progress in Bedford) they are just as confused as the rest of us.

It would appear possibly (rumour only) that Amundsen will be offered as a paid for option around September time, for pre week 22 owners, and anyone else who would like it I guess.

Anyway, it will probably all change tomorrow.

• Like 3

Thanks for passing on the info Kev I did not receive a phone call from Skoda UK perhaps they are waiting until after tomorrow I'm not holding my breath I don't think I would be wanting to part with money to get a fix but that would depend on cost and what compatibility with iPhone.

Skoda UK have told me to go to Motorcodes an independent ombudsman if I feel I have been mislead in any way!

I requested a meeting with someone from Global Skoda at Skoda UK's head office, and was told that probably would not happen.

Have added my comments to Watchdog, and have also contacted Auto Express who are very interested it would seem.

My dealer has also reaffirmed what he told me when I ordered, Skoda could not even answer the questions they asked at the Fabia launch for the dealers regarding Mirrorlink, so the fault for the mis-information firmly lies with them.

Fair play to the dealers (Progress in Bedford) they are just as confused as the rest of us.

It would appear possibly (rumour only) that Amundsen will be offered as a paid for option around September time, for pre week 22 owners, and anyone else who would like it I guess.

Anyway, it will probably all change tomorrow.

There we go then - they intend to fight this the whole way!

• Like 1

Nice to see that the Global Skoda Facebook page has removed my request for a contact from them regarding Mirrorlink.

It was a very polite request too.

They have a more sarcastic comment on there now, so lets see how long that one stays for.

• Like 1

No your not being thick they've removed them again . But in my notifications it still shows.

I think we are wasting our time don't you Kev?

Ditto.

I will just have to wait for Skoda UK.

Very disappointed in the dismissive attitude, this is not going to go away.

Nice to see that the Global Skoda Facebook page has removed my request for a contact from them regarding Mirrorlink.

It was a very polite request too.

They have a more sarcastic comment on there now, so lets see how long that one stays for.

They can't do that on Twitter, which is why people use that for complaints instead of Facebook and instagram.

Skoda UK have today washed their hands of the issue, and have advised me that there will be NO COMPENSATION and NO UPDATES for pre week 22 owners. End of.

I have reluctantly called my dealer to complain as this now seems to be the only route I can take, other than the media, where I have started the ball rolling.

We will see if that does me any good, but I suggest that anyone who feels the way that I do, contacts their supplying dealer in the first instance, with details of what they were told at the point of ordering.

Well I can't say that I'm surprised Kev I think this has been coming since the word go . This will not stop me having a go through the media though . Have Watchdog shown much interest ?

Well I can't say that I'm surprised Kev I think this has been coming since the word go . This will not stop me having a go through the media though . Have Watchdog shown much interest ?

Not heard back from them yet, I know some other guys went that route before me though.

I have spoken to Auto Express, and they seemed quite keen, but they were going to investigate first, so may take a few days.

The dealers now have a chance to placate me as well, so we will see. 

• Like 1

I bet John at skoda customer services is expecting my call.

Wonder if I have grounds to cancel my finance agreement due to not being provided what was advertised. As finance agreements complaints can be referred to the financial ombudsman I wonder if the goods are covered too.

I will gather all evidence for the promised functions. Google cache is a useful tool for this.

• Like 2

I have sent this email to Skoda UK I shall not hold my breath waiting for a reply.

I have received the following information 

Model year 2016 product changes from week 22

SK0373-15

Model year 2016 (MY16) vehicle specification changes are being introduced on vehicles built from week 22 2015 (starting 25 May). Ordering opens during week 18 2015 (starting 27 April).

·         SmartLink is available for Fabia, Rapid, Rapid Spaceback, Octavia and Yeti. It is an enhancement to the MirrorLink system already on Fabia and introduces the option for owners of Apple smartphones to use Apple Carplay, which offers the same functionality as MirrorLink.  

SmartLink also contains Android Auto, further enhancing the number of compatible handsets. 
Prices are shown in the table below. Refer to MY16 brochures for availability.

Option
 Code
 Basic RRP
 RRP inc VAT

SmartLink
 9WT
 £125.00
 £150.00

One of the reasons I bought the car in the first place was that the infotainment system was updateable I did not expect it to become obsolete within weeks of getting the car  

Will I be offered a paid for updated unit for my car or do you have any intention of helping pre week 22 purchasers.
  • Like 2

I feel i've been misled, and mis-sold about this too, to be fair I wouldn't of upgraded my car early and ended my previous credit agreement with the Monte Carlo if it hadn't of worked.

It's a proper step back, I really enjoyed the sat nav option on my mk2 and believed that mirrorlink and my note 4 would be the way to go. However since being advised at the dealership on the day I placed my order for my mk3 SEL that it would work it now turns out it doesn't and now I have a massive white elephant of an infotainment system that only does half of what it should be, and now Skoda know it doesn't work it's being replaced leaving us early adopters to feel like prize idiots.

Definently think Watchdog or other forms of complaint are the way forward

• Like 2