Speaker distortion

ftmch

Four months in to our new Yeti and I've noticed that there is some distortion coming from the right speaker (drivers door), while playing music with a bit of bass, and at a volume that while loud, is certainly not excessive.

We went with the Tech Pack (not sure what is called outside of Oz) which is supposed to have the 'premium' sound system, so the performance is disappointing.

It's possible that is just a fault with the speaker and /or installation, so I'll get them to check it at our first service, but has anyone else noticed this with their Yetis audio?

Is the speaker producing distortion or is it sending vibrations through the adjoining panel (usually the door card)? If it the latter then its not uncommon with the uprated system.

If you have the sound pack, you will have a 3rd speaker grill half-way up the door card between the tweeter and the lower speaker.

And this setup is actually very impressive if it's working correctly.

But I have also had distortion - always caused by the speakers being so powerful as to rattle items in the door pockets. Remove all your items from the door and see if the distortion is resolved...

If not, then take it back to the dealer as it should not do this.

Good suggestion, thanks. I'll check the door pockets as that may be the issue. 

In the event that it's not, I assume this is something that can / should be looked at under warranty?

In our price bracket can you expect any real quality from OEM?

I don't expect an absolute premium sound, but nor do I expect distortion at only average bass at not unreasonable volume.

I have listened to some very expensive sound setups, and the Premium speaker setup combined with the Amundsen+ unit I have in my Yeti isn't far off some very £expensive systems.

That said, the standard 8-speaker system isn't exactly shabby either - in hindsight I'd probably have saved the £400 and just stuck with that.

Yes that should be covered under warranty, as it would either be a torn speaker, a badly mounted speaker, or something loose on/in the door card.

Whichever it is, would be a manufacturing defect.

^ can only agree with the above comment, the A.. + is streets ahead of the Bolero fitted in my previous SE!! - both had/have the std speaker system!!

^ ooofffff you've obviously followed me, Billie Holliday, Al Jolson, Bix Bierderbeck, Led Zep, Ella, Piaf, Peggy Lee, AC/DC and Chris Rea(Still driving home for Xmas, for G*d's someone buy him a sat nav for his Ferrari)  -  a wide range all good thro' the leakers

Its a quiet beautifully sunny day overlooking Douarnenez Bay(google it,) here in Finistere, there's nothing else to do but make silly comments etc, hope Oz(your bit) is the same weather wise!!

Its a quiet beautifully sunny day overlooking Douarnenez Bay(google it,) here in Finistere, there's nothing else to do but make silly comments etc, hope Oz(your bit) is the same weather wise!!

Ahhh....shudupayaface, it's miserable :-((((

:-))

So it looks like the distortion sound had come from the speaker vibration rattling a couple of things in the door recess. Removed them and all good!

Thanks everyone who offered suggestions /advice - much appreciated.