Terraclean huge problems ! Monte Carlo tdi

All I have not joined here to give anyone bad press and am genuinely gutted about my car. Terraclean weren't interested at all when I broke down and denied the treatment could have caused the failure which immediately didn't go down very well. Its only done 41000 miles so never expected the pump to be at fault. Might be a very bad coincidence it failed half hour after the treatment. I'm sure there would be plenty of users on here that would soon pipe up if they were in the same situation. I'm having the pump rebuilt/refurbed to hopefully keep costs down. Wish I never had the treatment done (just my opinion). Will never know truely if it would've failed on its own accord. May have been very bad luck ? Guess I'll never really know. Hopefully will get the car back this week been off the road for nearly 3 weeks now.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about Terraclean not being to blame , as I understand it Terraclean contains powerful solvents which it uses to strip the laquer and build up from injectors etc .

Mind you I'm more convinced its likely to be user error on the part of the technician using the stuff , ie what would happen if he used the petrol products on the diesel ?

Probably this .

Absolutely nothing would happen if they used terraclean for petrol engines in the diesel engine. It would take more than that to damage the bearings in the hp pump. You can run a diesel engine with petrol in it for several miles without any damage to the pump, and petrol is a very powerful solvent too. Pump bearing failure is usually a thing that happens over the longer term and caused by bad or poor quality diesel or water in the tank which mixes with the fuel on the way through. Just can't believe it's Terraclean, but hey...as the op has said, we may never know.

Got my car back. No swarf found in fuel lines or filter so got lucky. Local garage came up trumps with labour and parts. cost just over a grand in total for the whole job. Glad to have it back just the bank balance is looking sick now.

Replacement High pressure pump including diagnostics and testing of the faulty one cost £650 had new timing belt fitted, fuel filter etc. Few hours labour. Will put a breakdown up later, in work at the mo. Was expecting a bigger bill than I had tbh. Total cost was £1041

Edited by Davidg5329
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...