Heavy Black Smoke in Skoda Octavia II as well rattling noise below engine.

Hi Experts,,

I have Skoda Octavia II (Laura) 2008 Dec Manufactured , Speedometer 100500KM.  Regularly Serviced in Skoda Authorised service center. Since 3 days I'm hearing strange Rattling Noise below the Engine , may be near Wheels . Especially when I turn the wheels completely while taking U turn etc in slow speed.

Yesterday i was on a long drive with full cabin passengers and was hearing the nose while driving straight also for some time. As well i can see lot of Black Smoke when i press the Pedal Aggressively. I have taken to the Skoda service centre and the service person said that the Noise may be becoz of Drive Shaft problem and the Smoke is may be becoz of Turbo Related. 2 Months Back I have done ECU Remapping by Viezu Technologies (U.K Based Company).

I'm much worried , many forums says the Excessive Black smoke is normal in VW Diesel Engines, as well we ECU Performance Remapping is done. How can i know that my Turbo is working fine ? and how can i get rid off the rattling Noise  !!

Please advise ..

Edited by bhaskaran

Hi.. Unfortunately i have not observed it before  :wall: .. a couple of weeks back after remap my friend observed it when i was driving ( He noticed when he was following me in other car)..

Is the rattling noise audible whilst not moving, ie on idle, can you hear it stood outside the vehicle? If so, possibly flywheel related?

Edited by Tilt

I'd say that that rattling might be related to that device that connects the wheel to the axle (sorry, I don't know how the proper term in English). When damaged these things can rattle in turns (people usually use this tip to detect failure in that). Topic creator said that there was rattling also when driving straight BUT with full car. I guess that loaded car gives more loading on these things and that might be the cause.

That's my guess. If it's so then that's not a big deal and every mechanic can do that.

About DMF (dual mass flywheel). Once I've changed that thing and I therefore I got some experience. In my case there were nasty vibrations only when in gear (press the clutch pedal and everything's fine). The more you press the throttle pedal, the more vibrations you get. When driving (even on high speed) in a very calm way (simply keeping the speed and not accelerating) then this vibration wasn't that bad.

That's my experience. Maybe in some cases it can be somehow different.

Edited by Jevpls

Turbo-related smoke is more usually blue or white - black smoke is usually fuel related.

Lots of black smoke is expected if you put your foot down in any diesel without a particulate filter (DPF) and not necessarily a problem on its own. If the engine is running poorly it could be a symptom of another problem however.

• Like 1

Is the rattling noise audible whilst not moving, ie on idle, can you hear it stood outside the vehicle? If so, possibly flywheel related?

No.. I'm not hearing any such noise in idling ..

I'd say that that rattling might be related to that device that connects the wheel to the axle (sorry, I don't know how the proper term in English). When damaged these things can rattle in turns (people usually use this tip to detect failure in that). Topic creator said that there was rattling also when driving straight BUT with full car. I guess that loaded car gives more loading on these things and that might be the cause.

That's my guess. If it's so then that's not a big deal and every mechanic can do that.

About DMF (dual mass flywheel). Once I've changed that thing and I therefore I got some experience. In my case there were nasty vibrations only when in gear (press the clutch pedal and everything's fine). The more you press the throttle pedal, the more vibrations you get. When driving (even on high speed) in a very calm way (simply keeping the speed and not accelerating) then this vibration wasn't that bad.

That's my experience. Maybe in some cases it can be somehow different.

Hi , Yes you are right.. i also feel its something to do with the jointing metal connects to the wheel .. Because i hear the cracking noise only while completely turn the wheels , and while up claiming the parking area with tight turns etc... About DMF.. I'm not sure.. anyhow again im going to take the car to service station for complete diagnosis , will share the result..

Mean while anyone help me to find the root cause of Excessive Black Smoke ! 

the cracking noise may be cv joints, have you checked that the cv boots are not torn as once the grease leaks out the cv joints will become noisy very quickly

as for black smoke, some black smoke is normal on hard acceleration as it is due to excess unburnt fuel but if it constantly blowing out black smoke it looks like it over fuelling and worth checking the it is not the map that is causing you the problem 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

the cracking noise may be cv joints, have you checked that the cv boots are not torn as once the grease leaks out the cv joints will become noisy very quickly

as for black smoke, some black smoke is normal on hard acceleration as it is due to excess unburnt fuel but if it constantly blowing out black smoke it looks like it over fuelling and worth checking the it is not the map that is causing you the problem 

Thanks friend.. by the way i have taken the vehicle to service and they told its the problem with CV Joint and drive shaft assembly (They have not opened the drive shaft and CV joint).. looks like they simply wanna replace the entire assembly.. can anyone help me the diagram / Picture/ Part Code of CV joint.. so that i can buy it online and get it done.. Skoda Octavia II (2008 Manufactured) 1.9 TDI , Indian Version.. Left side outer CV Joint Problem.. Thanks in Advance.