Which dashcam?

I'm considering buying a dashcam for my Rapid and don't know where to start from.

a ) How/where to attach it. I don't want a suction mount because it will detach all the time due to the sunny weather here. I was thinking a mirror mount? I don't want it to obstruct the view either.

b ) Which model? I am not too picky, I just want it to record when the engine is on and overwrite older footage with newer. Decent picture is fine, I don't need sound, no GPS or stuff like that. I would like it small. Maybe Mobius?

c ) I am particularly worried about how and where to will I route the charging cable. Is it easy for the Rapid? I don't want to remove something and then hear it squeak all the time. I also don't want the camera to be powered with the engine off - that'll drain the battery and I also don't need it to record when I don't move. The cigarette lighter however seems to be always powered (which also affects my phone charger, anyone knows how to change that?). Is any other +12V switched connection point near?

The only reference to a dashcam on a Rapid in this forum is here.

Does anyone else have a clue here?

Edited by eyegr

a ) Depends on the dashcam, the G1W (see #2 below) has an optional mounting bracket which clips to the back of the rear-view mirror. 

b ) This guy (http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/) does reviews, everyone raves about the G1W based on it's price vs. performance. I'm using a very cheap dashcam my dad bought which isn't great but I'm planning on investing in a G1W.

c ) Most have this facility to turn off after some time. In terms of routing the cable it would be under the headliner and down the pillar and then get it out somewhere, unless you hard-wire it to the fuse box or the back of the cigarette lighter. The alternative is to run it off the battery then charge each night out of the car.

Edited by whoop_whoop
  • Like 1

Have a look in the Octy mk2 section for fitting as the priciples will be the same. Blackvues are cylindrical in shape and normally fit between the rear view mirror and screen so you don't see them while driving and have a base that attaches to the screen with an adhesive tab but they are expensive compared to the competition.

Some of the others are box shaped so are harder to conceal though if you're a bit of a diy bod then have a look on techmoan's site above where he's added a lens to a mobus. As far as powerimg it you should be able to find a switched live in the fuse box and use a piggy back fuse to provide power though if it's a usb connection in the back of the camera for the power you'll need to scale the 12v down which you can do by using a seperate aux power socket with a usb outlet powered from the switched live. Again loads of onfo on this in the octy mk2 section. Good luck

• Like 1

Lots of driving instructors swear by the need for front and rear cameras, and I have a friend with a really clever system installed with discreet locations on both screens. Will chat to him and see what he has, maybe checkout what characteristics are important.

Some of the cheap ones don't help in the event of an accident, as the police only accept some types of video evidence.... I think?

Just a little update, I ordered the cam mentioned here for EUR17 plus EUR3 for the fuse piggys, just what I needed.

I will stick it with the 3M tape and route the cables to the fusebox. I hope to find suitable empty slots to use - will keep you informed.

By the way, I have made an Excel file with the fuse numbers on the Rapid for MY15. I can post it if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

that is the same as the e prance 08 series, with the exception it does not have a screen, its very discreet, I have shading at the top of my windscreen and it is not noticeable from the out side

• Like 1