rSAP and Android 5.0

After a bit of digging around, it would appear that rSAP support in 5.0 has essentially been degraded and it seems that Google have no intention of returning it.

My SGS2 runs rSAP like a dream. My Note3 runs it like a dog (repeatedly disconnects).

The ball-ache is that it seems almost impossible to root the Note3 whilst on 5.0, and there's no wa to return it to 4.3, which would allow me to root, reinstall Cyanogmenmod and then use the rSAP app to do the job.

My understanding is that rSAP has never been part of stock android hence a long running (now obsolete) bug: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4402

Various models of phone have had rSAP added by the manufacturer of that device but it's quite often inconsistent between models and even firmware for a single model. For instance, the stock rom for the HTC One M8 started supporting rSAP after it was upgraded to 5.x.

However, current reports are that android M *might* include it by default: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/02/android-m-feature-spotlight-stock-android-now-appears-to-support-rsap-for-premium-bluetooth-in-some-vehicles/

So, in reality, if M is released on time, it will then go to manufacturers, then service providers before being released to us mortals. September rapidly becomes next March :(

Note3 is rooted now (TWRP instead of CWM)

It's sad how long it takes, it's not been too bad since I converted my M7 to the GPE variant. Stock android updates quicker and I don't like how much bundled stuff is added. You might be lucky and get M for the note3 but as 5.1 isn't out for it yet i'd be surprised - I don't know what Samsung update policy is having never owned one.

I'm hoping that this years nexus (5 2015?) is a worthy replacement as I suspect the M7 has had it's last update (both sense and GPE editions). I definitely want to stick with a stock android experience if I can!

does anyone use or know if a samsung s6 will work on latest rsap modules.

I believe the S6 support rSAP out of the box and should just work. I don't own this device so I can't say for definite... Might be worth finding a local member with an rSAP module fitted and ask if you can try connecting to their car. More than welcome to try mine if you're over this way.

Sadly rSAP like many other telephony protocol implementations are ignored by / unsupported from Google. Remember, Google is primarily a content provider, hence will concentrate on things like social networks, video over the internet (NOT 3G video-call), email and things like that.

Gone are the days that the mobile phone market was dominated by Nokia and Ericsson, whose expertise in the telecommunications field is unmatched, even now. Since the market opened to people that care less for the telephony functions and more for the so-called "smart" functions, one can expect that low demand protocols like rSAP will receive less support over the years. As long as the Android goes, individual manufacturers are free to amend features and implement any standard they like, but this takes time (and money) and as these things aren't the ones that show up in the ads, they are usually left out.

Tl;dr version: If you use your phone as a phone, get a Nokia (or search for an Android phone from a manufacturer that cared to put some extra features in).

If you're now rooted with the rSAP app from play store then make sure you also install the SMS plugin. It automatically copies the texts you receive onto the phone so they're not stuck on the car.

http://forum.android-rsap.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=651

You need App Ops installed and grant the plugin SMS Write access.

I also use a Note 3 with root.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Phil, I tried that, but I couldn't get the rSAP program (the trial) to connect.

I'd rooted the phone and put CM12.1 on there.....it just sat there. :(

• 4 weeks later...

any hint as I still have the connectivity issue?

when connecting only on BT everything is fine except I don't have WIFI hotspot. when connecting over rsap the issue comes up (disconnections every 10-20 seconds).

when connecting only on BT everything is fine except I don't have WIFI hotspot. when connecting over rsap the issue comes up (disconnections every 10-20 seconds).

You won't get a hotspot when using BT in HFP, it's not supported.

As for the reconnecting issue, not too sure what to suggest. Many people seem to have issues and they are either caused by the phone or the SIM. I'd probably try and find some other SIM cards to try (just from friends etc) in your phone and see if it helps.

I used bluetooth keepalive:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.floodping.BluetoothKeepalive

Cost a £1 from the play store but sorted my connectivity issues.

Can't promise it will work for you but certainly did for me!