Has someone received car with Apple Carplay/Android Auto?

Can anyone with Android Auto confirm whether I need to purchase the £60 voice control extra that Skoda seem to sell? Surely voice control is innate with Google Now anyway? Confused!  :no:

google will use voice control instead of the skoda system, basically a short press uses the skoda system, a long press uses the google version.

Will try that later, when I try the button on the steering wheel I get told its unavailable. Must've been doing a short press.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

google will use voice control instead of the skoda system, basically a short press uses the skoda system, a long press uses the google version.

Great, so if I didn't add this on as an option, I'd get Google voice only? What's the advantage of the Skoda system?

Haha fair enough :) Okay, can anyone who didn't buy the Skoda Voice extra confirm whether or not Google Voice works without it or not?

I'll try it on my drive back from work later :)

Sweet, thanks Sarky!

Sorry for the late reply, I tried to get Android Auto to work for a good 5-10 mins last night then gave up. I find with my HTC One (m7) it can be hit and miss, sometimes it connects straight away and works flawlessly, other times it refuses and only a combination of plugging/unplugging it and switching the console on and off can fix. Probably just my phone being unsupported.

I'll have another go tomorrow when I have the car. Have a feeling it was down to my phone connecting via Bluetooth first.

It seems a bit odd to me, the whole "is my device supported" thing. With Mirrolink, yes, but as this is just a Lollipop slave thing you'd think that all Android 5.0+ devices are compatible! 

So, I wonder by having this system of Android Auto, presumably as long as USB doesn't die out anytime soon, the car will be as up to date as your phone?

I think the M7 and M8 are not supported the M9 is the first one that seems reliable

Definitely not officially supported but I have had it working fine. Just very temperamental!

• Like 1

Following thread with interest as about to order a new Yeti - my current Octavia has a MDI connection to Bolero (2012) where I hook up a hard with 750gb of music (yes 750gb). My understanding is that the Smartlink works only on the single USB so would not be able to have say Google maps connected whilst listening to media via the hard drive. If this is true surely an oversight as you wouldn't want to continually keep plugging/unpligging through the usb?

Or have I missed something? 

Following thread with interest as about to order a new Yeti - my current Octavia has a MDI connection to Bolero (2012) where I hook up a hard with 750gb of music (yes 750gb). My understanding is that the Smartlink works only on the single USB so would not be able to have say Google maps connected whilst listening to media via the hard drive. If this is true surely an oversight as you wouldn't want to continually keep plugging/unpligging through the usb?

Or have I missed something?

Yes there's only one USB socket. So there's no way to plug in a hard drive and a phone at the same time

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bit of spare time over lunch and found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Wireless-Mobile-Streaming-Android/dp/B00KE02RSE If my understanding is correct leave permanently on charge and then connect multiple devices up (including the Android phone connected to Smartlink using Android Auto). You then would have access to music streamed from hard drive along with satnav etc as required.

Long shot but guess no one has tried this set up?

Bit of spare time over lunch and found this on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Wireless-Mobile-Streaming-Android/dp/B00KE02RSE If my understanding is correct leave permanently on charge and then connect multiple devices up (including the Android phone connected to Smartlink using Android Auto). You then would have access to music streamed from hard drive along with satnav etc as required.

Long shot but guess no one has tried this set up?

This is a great solution, only it would require the player application you use to stream the files to be an Android Auto compatible app. See current list of compatible apps on the 'apps' tab here: https://www.android.com/auto/

Alternatively you could of course just stream from the hard drive to the phone and then use bluetooth audio to stream that to the car radio.

I'd like to think a USB hub would work allowing multiple USB devices to be plugged in at once, but I doubt it will.

I'm also hoping that when using the phone via Android Auto that even with maps / spotify running the USB socket will keep the battery charged!

• 4 months later...

Hi

My new Skoda is still at the dealership and I will get it this week. When I bought the car I didn't buy smartlink, instead I bought the Amundsen Navigation System.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my car and get SmartLink with CarPlay. Surely it would just be an update?

Thanks, I hope that some of you are left in this thread.

I've had a 2016 fabia since september. Android auto is awesome. Sometimes the unit has problems and gets confused when connecting, but I simply disconnect the USB and start again. 

Very pleased it.