Where's the OBD Socket?

Amazon refund is on it's way!  

Clearly the ELM327 device isn't genuine but at £7.95 delivered I though it might be worth a go, given I can get a refund quite easily with Amazon. I can connect to it and read fault codes OK but Carista can't perform customisation as "the device is defective".

On the look out now for one which works correctly - recommendations welcome!

Sorry to hear you got a dud.

Afraid the only advice I can give (which might not be viable for you) is to abandon Android and get an iPhone - then you can get the Wi-Fi-based ELM unit I use, which works.

• Like 1

Thanks - It might come to that!  

Well impressed by the car so far.  Collected the car yesterday and drove it back from Eastbourne to near Crewe - for that trip it's showing 58.9 mpg on the computer.  That's taking it easy at under 65mph (running in - although I'm unsure really how essential that is these days) and did include 45 mins of stop/start around M25 and Birmingham.  Town driving will bring that down I'm sure but it's not off to a bad start!

• Like 1

Running in - AFAIK it's not that essential nowadays, but I think you do get a queiter, less raspy engine and one that retains its power longer if you treat her gently for the first thousand or so.   Tyre manufacturers still advocate that brand new radial plys should be bedded in at less than 50 mph for the first 100 miles or so.   Certainly, I have always done this and the proof of the pudding is that all four tyres on my Rapid Sport (which everyone predicted the fronts would be chewed up by 20 thousand miles) are down to 5mm after 18000 miles of running.

The most important things are to avoid constant speed driving for long periods (give her a blip up of about 10 mph every now and again) and, above all, avoid allowing the engine to labour.   Leave a nice big gap with vehicles in front of you so that you can avoid harsh braking.

As I say, I don't think it's essential, just makes you feel better and makes your car happy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you got a dud.

Afraid the only advice I can give (which might not be viable for you) is to abandon Android and get an iPhone - then you can get the Wi-Fi-based ELM unit I use, which works.

Which ELM device have you got?

I have had 3 Bluetooth ones and all been defective. I have got an iPad which I can use for the app