Best Handling Tyres

rslady

Hi there and welcome aboard!

I'm currently using, and am very impressed with, Goodyear's Eagle F1 GSD-3s in 225/45 ZR17 size.

But scroll down a bit in this section to the "Tyres" thread where it's all been well discussed recently (although I doubt a conclusion was reached).

Originally posted by mellowyellow in this post

I have been pleasantly surprised by the Dunlops that came as standard on the car , as it appears , so is Geoff ........no problems either wet or dry , and they seem to give a reasonable amount of grip .

Agree with you guys on this on. But when I priced up the standard Sp3000A's they were 95 a pop as apposed to 78 for the ZZ3's, so I opted for the Avons.

Originally posted by Fabpreza in this post

SilveRS

Re the Avons

I think that they will be better suited to FWD cars like the Octavia, as they had some limitations in the wet on the Impreza.

Let us know what you think.

Rob

Rob, will let you know what I think once I have covers a few more miles.

I managed 23K from the previous set of Dunlops and was hoping for similar wear on these. Time will tell I guess.

The factory got me Michelin Pilot HX tyres, and I find them generally disappointing. They are just too hard, which is not very good in the dry and downright terrible in the wet. Very nice when having 4x4 and the tyres give up on you! I'm satisfied with their durability, though... :rolleyes:

(Well, actually I'm not, as it will take me longer to drive them to bits before being allowed to get some Pirellis.)

I am in agreement over the quality of the standard Michelin HX tyres, under heavy braking they dont instill enough confidence and wet perfomance is not what it should be for Michelin tyres.

I tried some Michelin Pilot Sport which were very good but seem to wear very quickly (thats the only downside to high corner grip and good feel?)

I now run Bridgestone Turanza ER30 which seem to offer a goof comprimise of noise on the motorway and performance where needed.

Not sure to go for Pilot Sport or Bridgestone next time.

Mine is the Elegance, running 205-55-16 btw.

chesoctavia, given any sort of choice, I'd go for Pirellis I think I'd go for the following tyres, in descending order of preference:

Pirelli P Zero (Nero or Rosso)

Conti Sport Contact or Sport Contact 2

Bridgestone SO-2

Bridgestone SO-1 (still available in this size as its a Porsche fitment)

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Dunlop SP9000

All depends what you are looking for in a tyre as to what you choose.

I used to loath Pirellis and always ran Goodyear / Michelin, but I keep coming back to PZeros (handling) and P6000's (for value, noise, wear comfort and a good all rounder rather than handling).

The Toyo Proxes were good on grip and value but I found them a bit harsh and not as good as people said.