What the Haynes manual describes as the Right-hand driveshaft vibration damper needs replacing. It moves up and down the driveshaft and spins around and around which I'm guessing isn't meant to happen. Assuming i can get it off ( the bolts seems well seized, have to hope plusgas helps) anyone know where i can get a replacement.   

Mine did exactly the same thing about 4 years ago. It was spinning and sliding about all over the place. So I took it off altogether and never replaced it as I reckoned she didn't need a random bit of metal slapping around the driveshaft. 

40,000-odd miles later, it doesn't seem to have made any difference to anything; she's still going strong without it and certainly no untoward vibration.

Czech mechanics I asked say the counterweight is not necessary only if:

• the driveshaft is original
  • the driveshaft didn't take hits
  • the joints are not noisy
  • the owner has not aggressive driving habits for this small car

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... so removing it will either a.) make no difference or b.) result in my drive shaft breaking in two. 

While I'm not aggressive with my driving I do routinely fill the car to the brim with camping and climbing gear then drive round the unpaved roads in the lake district so I'm thinking my little car needs all the help it can get.

So does anyone where I can get a new one?

Edited by cloudsrule9

I also have mine removed and it makes no difference at all. And im pretty sure that removing the damper will not make the driveshaft break in two

I have seen driveshafts broken at the damper location, because the salt and crap will get under it and make the driveshaft rust faster.