Chunk's Biker Journey from nothing to full bike license

Chunk11

Ideally about £3000 for the bike and then about £500 for insurance.

I was going to say a Street Triple (standard non R version), but 3 grand's not enough for that. SV650 (as already mooted) would be a good shout, or Bandit, Hornet, Fazers, ER6. If you had the cash now this would be ideal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-2003-Mint-Condition-Low-Mileage/221830052505?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29974%26meid%3Db2b50a0120884447a7f1e2cca2243cd6%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D221830052505

Get yourself out and about on the 125 and enjoy it. Try not to keep thinking about bigger bikes just ride as much as you can, get some good long trips under your belt.

You'll know when you're ready to step up by which time you'll know what type of bike you want next.

Enjoy it fella !

Spot on!

Enjoy the 125 and develop your riding skills.

Understand what YOU want from a motor cycle, then YOU can choose the sort of bike that meets YOUR needs.

After all, you may even decide that motorcycling is not for you long term.

Enjoy your bike.

You can't beat 125's for cheap & cheerful fun. They are great for honing your skills, especially looking ahead as it will help you maintain your speed & ride smoothly.

Another bike to consider is the Suzuki v-strom (what I'm considering), I believe its the same 650 v-twin as the sv650

You can't beat 125's for cheap & cheerful fun. They are great for honing your skills, especially looking ahead as it will help you maintain your speed & ride smoothly.

Another bike to consider is the Suzuki v-strom (what I'm considering), I believe its the same 650 v-twin as the sv650

It is the same engine as the sv yeah.

Engines pretty much bullet proof tbh. Just listen out for rattling camchains. 70bhp is what youll get, which is fine, but tuning isnt really an option because the crank has issues above 80bhp.

Get a test ride (:. The vstrom isnt known for speed mind. Its a big lump of a bike isnt it aha.

It is the same engine as the sv yeah.

Engines pretty much bullet proof tbh. Just listen out for rattling camchains. 70bhp is what youll get, which is fine, but tuning isnt really an option because the crank has issues above 80bhp.

Get a test ride (:. The vstrom isnt known for speed mind. Its a big lump of a bike isnt it aha.

There are so many options out there to choose from.

Once my 125 has gone & I'm sorted financially, I will finish my license (mod1/mod2 togo) and will then start getting some test rides.  I'm not after a fast bike, something I can tootle around on, still have some fun, commute, tour & sound nice will suffice :D (I don't want much)

There are so many options out there to choose from.

Once my 125 has gone & I'm sorted financially, I will finish my license (mod1/mod2 togo) and will then start getting some test rides. I'm not after a fast bike, something I can tootle around on, still have some fun, commute, tour & sound nice will suffice :D (I don't want much)

Tbf. That engine sounds perfect for what you want then.

Sounds brill with an aftermarket can, plenty for the roads if youre tootling, loads of midrange torque too so they dont have to be revved high to get the best out of them.

• Like 1

Okay guys just thinking ahead for Wednesday when I get my 125 what should I be looking at for security?

I have been looking at 16mm chain locks and a disc lock. Is there anything else I should be considering?

I am hoping I will be able to get the bike down the side alley and into the rear yard but if not it will be on the drive behind my car.

I live in a pretty decent area so hopefully don't

have to worry too much about it being stolen.

11742797_1647113945529727_54072318613551

I can also get the Oxford Anchor 14 for £27 (RRP £34.99)

LKLK396_0_400.jpg

If your interested, let me know so I can get them ordered so I can bring them over with me :) , I'm sure I could give Briskoda members another 10% off

Okay guys just thinking ahead for Wednesday when I get my 125 what should I be looking at for security?

I have been looking at 16mm chain locks and a disc lock. Is there anything else I should be considering?

As far as chains go, those from Almax and Pragmasis are pretty much the only ones worth considering, if you're looking for more than a visual deterrent. It's shocking just how easily most chains (even expensive ones) can be cut, Oxford chains are pants. A 16mm Almax or Pragmasis is a big, heavy and very tough bugger. Combined with a decent ground anchor that would be more than adequate for securing a 125, and good enough for more expensive bikes when you move up.

A commuter 125 isn't something professional thieves will bother with, they get stolen by opportunists, and opportunists are lazy - make it difficult and they'll move on to an easier target. A16mm chain isn't exactly portable easily though, so you'll need a good disc lock for out and about (again, it won't stop it being lifted into a van, but it'll stop your chav scum hoodie opportunist types.

When siting a ground anchor think about where you put it - don't make it easy to get to. When using a chain always ensure it's passed through the frame if possible, and has no slack - never eave it touching the ground.

The oxford chains listed above are sold secure tested and rated silver or gold, I believe the gold rated ones are recognized by insurers similar to the Thatcham ratings for cars.

They're still total pants, and won't delay a thief with decent bolt croppers for more than a couple of seconds - 3 Seconds for an Oxford Monster (which is considerably further up their range than those in your post), and that was with someone who'd never used bolt cutters before. Most chains sold for motorcycle security (even very expensive Sold Secure gold rated ones) are nothing more than expensive ornaments. It's quite an eye opener when you've seen just how easy they are to cut silently, and what a load of overpriced **** they almost all are.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/t-wallofshame.aspx

If you don't buy your chain from here:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Default.aspx

or here:

http://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Chains+(without+padlocks)

then don't be surprised if you come out one morning and it's sitting in two pieces where your bike used to be.

125's are easy to sell though. Theres big demand.

Ive got an Xena disc alarm n its great

Most stolen bikes don't get sold in one piece though, they get broken. There's not enough money in a commuter 125 to me it worth professional thieves bother, but light fingers opportunist scrotes will have em all day long, if they're left unsecured. Xena make some good, strong disc locks, but we used to get loads back with faulty alarms.

Most stolen bikes don't get sold in one piece though, they get broken. There's not enough money in a commuter 125 to me it worth professional thieves bother, but light fingers opportunist scrotes will have em all day long, if they're left unsecured. Xena make some good, strong disc locks, but we used to get loads back with faulty alarms.

Whichever reason they nick em, bottom line is, theyre still nicked haha. :D.

Ive had an Xena xx14 for a few years now. Its never missed a beat, but obviously they are more likely to break than a regular disc lock, theres abit more too them.

Whichever reason they nick em, bottom line is, theyre still nicked haha. :D.

Yes, but what you need to deter a professional thief and what you need to stop an opportunist hoodie chav scum are considerably different.

Okay my Yamaha YBR 125 was very kindly delivered by Matthew (DarkPeakCycles) and I have had my first solo journey to work and back. Only covered 20 miles today but I enjoyed it and look forward to doing many more miles!

Next step is my theory test at the end of September...

• Like 1