Sill damage :(

Hello

Spent lunchtime today finally fitting my wind deflectors and all my chrome trim pieces (do not like the sill trims, will likely be dumping those soon in favour of the genuine Skoda ones). Will post pics of all that later.

Anyway, while fitting on of the sill trims I dropped something, and as I got down to pick it up, I noticed three stress cracks in the paintwork on the drivers side lower sill (the nobbily bit towards the bottom of the car) about half way along the drivers door. The reason for the stress cracks - that'll be the sodding great dent in said sill from where the car must have grounded out Saturday before last when I was at my company''s annual BBQ tour CEO's house...down a very uneven dirt track in deepest darkest Hampshire. I know it must have been there, given the trail of ground in dirt along the rest of the sill on that side. Car must have dropped into a deep pothole on that side, and I didn't realise it had smacked against the edge.

Weirdly, I did not notice it when I was under the car on Sunday having a very good look, when it was having its oil change (probably because the arm of the lift was obscuring it).

Currently filled with mixed emotions of annoyance, frustration and a degree of "stuff happens, at least it wasn't done by someone else".

Doesn't need fixing immediately (if at all). But now I've seen it, I notice it every time. Going to pop by the local Chips Away franchise in the next couple of weeks, see what can be done to tidy it up.

I'll stick a pic up later when I'm less annoyed.

Chris :(

I am sorry to hear that Chris, but damage like this is likely to happen to this place (of the car, not of England :) ). It protrudes from the rest of the car bottom so hits obstacles first. My previous car had a deep crack there, still don't know where I hit it! I would be equally disappointed if I hit my new car, but on the bright side, it is cheap to fix it and you don't really have to do an excellent job as it is not easily spotted. Just make sure you fix it so it does not rust, that's the important thing for me.

I would like to see a pic though.

• Like 1

Yes - imagine what would happen if someone tried to jack up the car right on the sill at that point - about a 3inch x 3inch square section of the sill below those cracks has been compacted upwards. Pictures don't show it that well, I'll try and get some better ones shortly.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it'll be an easy (and probably not too expensive) fix, just gutted it happened and that I most likely did it. I'm also more worried about the cracked paint letting moisture in that will rust, rather than the actual dent.

Chances are it's not as bad as I think it is.

Did another pic, doesn't really do it justice, but it is a bit clearer where the bulge and dent is:

dc3805602afd410449e0f087cf22d0c1.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Sure it's not a trolley jack dent?

The sills on Skodas are made of chocolate [emoji17]

Happened to my MK1 Octavia.

Definitely not a trolley jack (though I agree it looks the same as trolley Jack damage) - it was the ground-out on the dirt track, there was even a trail of smeared on mud and dirt leading away from it.

Also, car has never been lifted on a trolley Jack in the time I've owned it (and this damage is recent), always on a full lift.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Shame but luckily it's only a little bit visible but like me you know it's there. Hope you sort it cheaply [emoji106]

Thanks mate. Got a Chips Away guy coming to my office next week to have a look and give me a quote.

• Like 1