Stream radio aux-in problems

Ok finally took the plunge this afternoon and pulled out the stream Head Unit in my Octy in order to pick up the aux-in connection for my mp3 player and DAB tuner. The manual says it's there and i've enabled it in the menu so thought it couldn't be that difficult.

Wrong!

WTF is going on? There is no standard Aux-in socket like a set of phonos or even 3.5mm jack.

The Stream uses 1 big multiway plug containing the ISO plugs and the autochanger plugs within it as can be seen from the attached images. Don't know what is wrong with my camera but the pin-out is badly out of focus. I'll describe what's there.

Bottom right is the iso speaker plug and next to it on the left is the iso power plug containing perm/sw live, earth, mute input for hands free, 'radio on' signal for amp (audience only) and can bus connections. Both of these are smaller than the standard ISO size so not suitable for ISO connection of bluetooth kits.

Top right is the autochanger connection with the 2 right most pins being unused. To the left is an unused 12 way connector (identical to that of the autochanger) with only the 2 leftmost pins marked as for +/- handsfree phone connections. No mention of aux connections at all.

It looks like the spare connection is there to pick up another cd changer or a special Aux cable which explains why there isn't a button on the front of the radio to select the aux input. You just select it via the CD button.

Any ideas folks, my dealer knows nothing and I don't want to wreck my head unit by experimenting too much

6868.attach

6869.attach

Connects2 have a lead for the VW RCD300 but their guys say its untested on the Octavia radio. It should work though !!!

Try looking at connects2.com for more info and PM me if you need to order anything from them as I have an account

Andy

Was just browsing through the skodacommunity.de forum to find out about this and despite a bit of translation problems i've found a possible solution.

The big problem associated with using the mini ISO autochanger input on VAG head units for aux input was always that the audio line-in connections are only enabled after digital communication is established between the HU and changer. To play a CD in the changer, the HU requests the changer and the changer then confirms it's up and running. Only then does the HU enable its autochanger audio inputs.

Current aftermarket Denison, soundlinx and Connect2 aux kits etc fool the HU into thinking a changer is connected and operational before using the audio inputs to act as an aux input.

The theory from the above forum is that when you turn the aux input 'on' in the menu of the stream or audience, you simply tell the head unit to ignore the confirmation signal required back from the changer before enabling the line-in signals.

On that basis if I pull out the lead from the changer or head unit with 'aux' enabled in the menu, the CD button on the HU will switch to AUX instead of the changer. I'll give that a go as soon as possible to see if it is indeed the case.

The theory from the above forum is that when you turn the aux input 'on' in the menu of the stream or audience' date=' you simply tell the head unit to ignore the confirmation signal required back from the changer before enabling the line-in signals.

On that basis if I pull out the lead from the changer or head unit with 'aux' enabled in the menu, the CD button on the HU will switch to AUX instead of the changer. I'll give that a go as soon as possible to see if it is indeed the case.[/quote']

Wish this worked on the fabia symphony unit :(

err...umm at the risk of sounding silly: how did you enable it? I'm pretty sure I went through the whole manual without success....

If your stream or audience head unit has the aux function then if you press the MENU button and press the > symbol to move through the screens then you will see a button for Aux. Just press it to enable. There is also a sensitivity control for the aux input in the 'audio' menu.

This function was only introduced to cars built after May or June this year I think.

If your stream or audience head unit has the aux function then if you press the MENU button and press the > symbol to move through the screens then you will see a button for Aux. Just press it to enable. There is also a sensitivity control for the aux input in the 'audio' menu.

This function was only introduced to cars built after May or June this year I think.

Ah right. Mine seems to be the older Stream (built in April, I think) and doesn't have an Aux option anywhere. That's that theory scuppered.....