RMS Titanic, mk1 vrs

e30kev

Hi folks,

I've been on here for a while now and its about time I started a project/build thread.

I bought this car in November 2013 for a measly £1000, with a full years mot and 87k on the clock.

It had a few issues needing sorted which I have been gradually working my way through but nothing major unlike the golfs and a3s around the same money I had seen before I made the right choice.

First up was to find the source of the water ingress as the whole passenger side was full of water (nicknamed rms titanic hereafter).

This was due to a combination of nearly all the common places to check, rear door drains blocked with glass after a window replacement in the past, rear door membrane looked like it had been refitted by Edward scissorhands, passenger side scuttle panel water drain guide on underside of panel had broken off and been bodged back on by previous owner with tigerseal/mastick in the wrong place, actually diverting water straight into the pollen filter and the scuttle and both front arch liners full off composted crud.

After a good hoover out with a wet vac, and all the above fixed it's been dry since.

Here's a list of all the things done/replaced so far:-

New passenger scuttle panel.

Pollen filter.

Rear door membrane.

Oil changes with quantum longlife 5w30.

Genuine skoda oil filters and sump plug.

Genuine skoda dipstick and guide.

ngk pfr6q spark plugs.

Genuine coolant temp sensor.

Throttle body cleaned.

Breather hoses all replaced with creation motorsport silicone hoses.

Genuine pcv valve and crankcase elbow.

Ramair induction kit.

Rear calliper replaced with genuine.

Rear brembo discs and pads.

Hankook v12 evo2's all round 205/50/17.

2.5 inch piper turbo back system including sport cat.

Pioneer double din stereo.

Parts bought but still to fit:-

Ecs clutch kit with lightweight flywheel.

Bam inlet manifold.

Bam fuel injector rail.

K04 charge pipe with custom elbow to fit k03s turbo.

Bam map sensor and pipe.

Genuine thermostat,o ring,housing and new coolant.

Parts still to buy, still to do:-

Fmic and pipework.

Bam charge pipe brackets.

Sfs turbo intake pipe.

Front and rear anti roll bars.

Full superpro bush kit including dog bone etc.

Shocks and springs (still undecided which to choose).

Quick shifter and bushes.

Shark stage 2 remap (at brotech).

Wavetrac lsd.

Front discs and pads.

Fix paint and rust issues asap!!!

I've probably missed/forgot a few things so I'll keep editing/updating this as I go.

http://rs1086.pbsrc.com/albums/j447/e30kev1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0170_zps6hqir8b6.jpg~320x480

http://rs1086.pbsrc.com/albums/j447/e30kev1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0172_zpse98eks87.jpg~320x480

http://rs1086.pbsrc.com/albums/j447/e30kev1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0173_zpsvsdbbseo.jpg~320x480

http://rs1086.pbsrc.com/albums/j447/e30kev1/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0177_zpsprybtvxp.jpg~320x480

Thanks for looking,

Kev.

Fixed them :D

Here's some more :)

IMAG0147_zpsifxdamcf.jpg

IMAG0144_zpsdlhyfxoq.jpg

IMAG0149_zps2rww7uep.jpg

IMAG0151_zpse8e4uqkd.jpg

Avert your eyes for the engine bay shot, very much a work in progress, just like the rest of the car.

IMAG0185_zpsshvruk0a.jpg

Clutch is getting fitted tomorrow, and hopefully the exhaust centred correctly, as it's not quite in the middle of the cut out and looks a bit pi$h :)

Clutch is fitted, gentle paranoid bedding in period has commenced.

Not gave it any kind of sport yet but, what a difference!!!

Pedal is so light it doesn't feel connected to anything and the bite is instant, no chatter noticed as yet even though its the lightweight flywheel I've got so happy days ;)

Old friction plate was down to the metal in places, wish I'd got a pic, would have left me stranded in the not too distant future. Old dual mass weighed a tonne too.

Exhaust is now sitting more central, not 100% but way better than before, I'm a happy man now :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well it's been a while since I updated this and I'd had a change of heart many a time but I've since decided to keep her and give her a decent refresh all over.

Work done since the clutch has consisted of only maintenance but here's a wee list of the parts changed that I can remember:-

Thermostat and coolant.

Aircon recharge.

Full laser wheel alignment/geometry check.

Rear shocks.

Rear spring.

Discs and pads all round.

Abs sensors.

Brake lines all round.

Battery.

I'm currently in the process of getting the required funds to add some proper performance  parts for the car, here they are in no particular order:-

Coilovers/uprated shocks and springs.

Superpro bushes all round.

Front and rear anti rollbars.

Supersize tip.

Welly cooler.

Stage 2 remap.

Lsd, quaife/wavetrac.

Bodywork/respray.

Still undecided:-

Front brake upgrade/brembo's?

Wheels/bbs/compomotive/3sdm?

Wheel spacers?

Lots more to come, I'll keep this up to date as things start to appear.

Edited by e30kev