Columbus - RNS 510, which version to go for?

zyon4u

Hi all

I'm looking forward to upgrading my standard swing stereo head unit in my 2009 MK2 Octavia. I have been looking at a couple of options on eBay. I'm confused about the type of versions available.

Could anyone guide me which is the ideal Columbus head unit version I should go for that would match my car.

Regards

J

3T0 036 680 A

Best value for money and a solid unit. It'll match the age of your car near enough.

If you want the latest and greatest unit then expect to pay £2-300 more for one. But you don't get much extra for your money!

• Like 1

Typo there mate. Should read part number 3T0 035 680 A.

Version differences across the range are essentially...

LCD screen versus LED screen (LED being the better), 30Gb hard drive versus 40Gb hard drive (more is better), later units get improved software which gives added features such as maps/Points Of Interest (POI) more customisable, radio text, and quicker processors / firmware as you get into newer units.

Then you get into DAB enabled units, SSD drive units, and then you're up to about the newest there is. There's many different software / maps versions available, but overall I'd avoid anything which says something along the lines of "upgraded to the latest / custom firmware" as it generally means someone has been mucking about with it. Maps can be updated on any unit without needing to customise the firmware. The VW RNS510 is essentially the same unit but with a VW splash screen and different colour leds for buttons on the unit. A VW one will drop straight in as well, so if you can get a better deal on one and can do with a few cosmetic differences then it's an option.

• Like 1