The Tdi "Turbo howl" mystery solved?

tamiyaandy

As an owner of a 1.9Tdi like many others on here, I've often seen posts were people says "what's the owl sound" my turbo makes when I lift of the throttle?, is my turbo dying?, is it the police siren sound?.

My car has always made a "howl" sound on gear changes and when lifting off, and I think I know why, after browsing you tube I stumbled across videos named "1.9Tdi straight pipe" and it was like WOW!!! That's the exact same sound only exaggerated.

So to sum up, I reckon my standard exhaust which is still in perfect condition and possibly original to the car ( 8 years old ) has lost most if not all the baffle material in the back box and as such is almost like a straight through system.

Just a thought to anyone else with a "howling" Tdi, watch some of videos on you tube and see if it's the same sound...... ?