Oil from Turbo

post-64246-14379144197462_thumb.jpgpost-64246-14379144320497_thumb.jpgpost-64246-14379144393641_thumb.jpg

Under the car yesterday doing some jobs and spotted this oil residue around turbo. Is it just vapour from the egg system or is it something wrong with turbo itself. The cars done 150k and I've noticed the turbo whistles a bit but put that down to leaky boost pipes.

Cheers

Well the oil return pipe coming out of the turbo in that picture looks dry so that could possibly rule that out leaking.

Your oil feed pipe situated above that could be the culprit. Did you check it?

If it is oil dripping down from a tired egr valve you'll see this looking from the top of the engine down the back where the egr valve is. Did you check this also?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Wasn't sure how familiar you might be with what your looking at so just snapped some quick pics of a nackered turbo I've got in the garage (trying to do some tidying up!). Just shows where the oil feed connection is in comparison to the picture you've taken (essentially on top of the turbo)

20150726_141426_zpscyvcjwwv_edit_1437916

20150726_141500_zpsefxascgn.jpg

20150726_141509_zpsumzy9mrp.jpg

• Like 1

I've circled the bits your concerned with in the following pictures. First picture the orange circle could be where your slight oil leak is coming from on the oil feed to the turbo. On the car, you'll have a hard, thin (ish) metal pipe connected to this, which if traced back will go to the oil filter housing at the front of your engine bay.

On the second picture, I have an egr delete (the silver bit with darkside written on it), but this is the area where you should have an egr valve (may look slightly different depending on whether your car is pre 2005 (ish) asz engine, or post 2005 (ish) blt engine).

Where I've circled is where oil can be prone to seep out as the egr gets old and worn and a bit clogged (or nackered as some may say). This could be dripping, or alternatively it could be dripping where the boost pipe connects in to the anti shudder valve/ egr valve which is the first pipe you'll come to if you look left from the egr valve.

It is a MK1 VRS you have by the way?

2015-07-26%2014.39.43_zpsczrqosm7.jpg

2015-07-26%2014.38.31_zpspaubpupx.jpg

Yeah it's a 2005 mk1 asz engine. That's brilliant. If the oil feed is leaking will it be a matter of re-torquing it back up or does it have a seal on it to replace ?

I'm not sure it will be if I'm honest.

From what I remember (when I changed my turbo earlier this year) there is not a seal in terms of a gasket or o-ring so there is no reason it should be leaking unless it is either damaged or just worked every so slightly loose. If you are familiar with the term "nip it up" then I would try that in the first instance but don't be tempted to try and swing off it or over tighten it.

To be fair you could swing off it anyway as space is limited.

I've had a look and the egr looks pretty clean. Certainly can't see any drips or oil underneath it. I've found the oil feed pipe and followed it around to the back of the engine but it drops down towards the turbo leaving me about a keyhole to look through - of which I can't see enough. May have to get underneath it again and have a feel up see if any fresh oil around the feed pipe.

I've another vrs same year although done 160k and the turbo on that is silent. Maybe this turbos just on its way out :/

Have you got an inspection mirror? Or can you get your hand in with your phone to take a video with the flash on?

Doesn't look like a lot of fresh oil as I would expect to see. Maybe it is just old oil from the egr system 3fd38ce049d41e654edeb1dc39ba2323.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you mean that's dripped down from where the egr valve is?

You will have some oil vapour going through your turbo from the CCV but you shouldn't have oil leaking anywhere on your actual turbo.