Mysterious chiming sound

We have a 59 plate 4x4 Octavia estate.

It required a new battery a couple of weeks back. Since then, there have been a number of occasions, when on opening the door after unlocking it, you are greeted by a chiming sound, not unlike the seatbelt alarm. This ceases, as soon as a key is inserted into the ignition. (But not turned). It only seems to happen, when the car has been left overnight.

Yesterday, for the first time, the sound could be heard with the car still locked. (First thing this morning, after being left on the drive overnight).

If anyone could cast any light on this, I would be most grateful.

• 1 month later...

The problem went away, after a couple of long journeys.

However, back on its normal use pattern, and we are back to "Bong, bong, bong" when the doors are opened.

The car has been on test at the dealer all day. They have confirmed that it's a battery drain issue, but as yet they know not where from.

The graphs show a frequent spike (when the car should be dormant), but they have, as yet, been unable to trace the source, as the spikes are only a few seconds long.

Has anyone encountered anything similar please?

Similar problem here.

When I am loading up my car to go away camping there will be a couple of doors open.  After a while the bonging starts.  Even closing the doors does not stop it.  No idea what it is, I don't think I have a battery problem, always starts on the button.

Unfortunately the fact that the car starts as expected is not a clear indication that the battery is OK.

There are many, many threads on here of very unusual behaviour that is exhibited by the MkII Octavia when the output of the battery falls below a certain level.

I've been there, my car would start just fine in the winter first thing in the morning when the temperatures were below freezing. Later in the day after the engine warmed through it began to struggle, when it should in reality have found it easier.

The audible sound inside the car is telling you the battery has dropped to a level where starting the engine may be an issue. It is a warning to you to either stop the drain on the battery (radio, ignition, interior lights etc.) or start the engine whilst you still can to recharge the battery.

Ultimately for the sake of £70 for an 092 Bosch S5 or Varta E44 delivered to your door especially with winter just around the corner I'd be investing in a new battery.

My Octavia did this when the girlfriend and I went camping.  We only noticed it when the doors and boot were open for prolonged times (1 hour or more). I can only presume it was a warning that battery power is in use.

The interior lights are on a timer, they automatically turn off after 5 minutes or so.

After this there is no drain unless you are repeatedly closing and opening the doors / boot or the ignition, exterior lights or radio etc. are on.

I had the chime after being parked up and listening to the radio for about 90 minutes (and found it auto switched off after about an hour).

The chime was accompanied by a message on the display to the effect that I should restart the engine to recharge the battery.

The battery in this car is physically the smallest of those in all the diesel cars I have owned.

Also, SKODA recommend changing the battery every five years. My experience is that original fit batteries last at least nine years and replacement batteries about half this.

My conclusion is that the chime is a way for SKODA to avoid the battery volts getting too low as 1) the background discharge current is quiet high due to the amount of electronics, even when the engine is off but the car occupied and 2) it requires the supply voltage for starting to be maintained higher than before the days of computer switching of the starter motor.

Edited by pikpilot