New Dynavin N6 or Used Columbus

The prices of both units are not that far away, would there be any reason not to buy the new unit, it gets good reviews and blends into the dash very well indeed, Would i need anything else with the used Columbus to make it work on a 2010 Fabia with the basic radio in.,,,,, no steering controls.... unfortunatley.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you'd need to make this work in your car but I'd discourage you from getting the Columbus unit or at least warn you not to expect much. I have a new superb (last of mk2 shape) and I really think the Columbus is junk. It's slow, the touchscreen is rubbish, the sat nav goes haywire, the maps are out of date, audio quality is terrible and Bluetooth is very poorly featured. I've been considering the Dynavin N6 as a replacement also looking for feedback when installed in Skoda.

I had the Amundsen and swapped it with the Columbus. I absolutely love it personally, works perfect with no changes to the coding. Took the old one out, put the new one in and it works great. The only down side for me was not being able to play movies off the internal hard drive. other than that I have no complaints. I cant really comment on the dynavin N6 as I've never seen it in action and to be honest is the first time i've heard of it. 

If you'd like any pictures or info on the Columbus i'm willing to help as best as I can.

I'm not sure what you'd need to make this work in your car but I'd discourage you from getting the Columbus unit or at least warn you not to expect much. I have a new superb (last of mk2 shape) and I really think the Columbus is junk. It's slow, the touchscreen is rubbish, the sat nav goes haywire, the maps are out of date, audio quality is terrible and Bluetooth is very poorly featured. I've been considering the Dynavin N6 as a replacement also looking for feedback when installed in Skoda.

To add some balance to the post here. I have found the Columbus a massive improvement over the MFD2 I had in my previous car. With the correct level of firmware you get 7 digit post codes. I've had to revert to mobile sat nav once on a very new estate that wasn't on the maps.

The screen is clear and easy to understand. Not difficult to program. If you have maxidot you get extra prompts and it fully mutes the radio etc when required.

I think it's worth every penny and have considered fitting to wives Fabia.

Sound could be slightly fuller but it is more than acceptable for a car system.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did you make your mind up on the Columbus or N6? I'd be interested in any feedback on the N6.

My point on the Columbus was set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. I compared the sound quality to a car with the older Bolero stereo and standard speaker setup was far superior. SD card navigation was way faster too. I've also had problems with Columbus freezing and randomly resetting. It's not even a year old.

The only good things about the Columbus is the GPS acquires satellites quickly - But then so has every car I've owned with integrated sat-nav, I guess the antenna is integrated into the car somewhere - this might be a consideration for your installation. The DAB is also good to lock on, but to browse the stations you'll need to use the terrible touchscreen which will leave you so frustrated you'll probably want to drive your car off a bridge...