Standard Halogen Headlights

I can't seem to find a photo of a new Superb with the standard halogen headlights. I've tried Googling and looking in the brochures and at press pics but it seems every Superb built so far has xenons! Obviously the configurator can show halogens but it's not a 'real' image.

Like many of us I've ordered this car blind but it'd be nice to see a photo of an actual SE Business spec example.. 

Here's the Carbuyer review with the halogen headlights (and daytime running lights) on a SE Business.  The bi-xenons with LED DRLs do a make a big difference IMO, both from an optics and a safety point of view.  Pity they are not available in the UK in that spec as I notice xenons are standard on the Ambition (SE equiv) model in the Irish market which is a nice touch.

http://youtu.be/eyDkKPt9hCA

• Like 1

Here's the Carbuyer review with the halogen headlights (and daytime running lights) on a SE Business.  The bi-xenons with LED DRLs do a make a big difference IMO, both from an optics and a safety point of view.  Pity they are not available in the UK in that spec as I notice xenons are standard on the Ambition (SE equiv) model in the Irish market which is a nice touch.

http://youtu.be/eyDkKPt9hCA

Thanks Superb170, that's the first video I've seen with standard headlights. I wonder why they've moved the DRL's into the headlights as opposed to leaving them by the fogs? 

Another cracking review, it's going to be a long 12 weeks (or more...)  :D

• Like 1

I wonder why they've moved the DRL's into the headlights as opposed to leaving them by the fogs? 

Probably cost? it means only one type of fog light needs to used throughout

Is that really a business se? Didn't have leather seats nor the correct sat nav or sunset glass?

Is that really a business se? Didn't have leather seats nor the correct sat nav or sunset glass?

I thought the same thing actually but just assumed that it was me not being overly familiar with the UK specs however I double checked the car reg now and it comes up as an SE and not a business edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Yes I upgraded to Nightbreakers, much better than the standard halogens.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to get an se business next week, will definitely try updated lamps.

If you do upgrade you'll have to do the DRLs as well as the whiter headlamps make them look even more yellow.

Have you done the DRL upgrade Juvehero? If so, did you manage without removing the wheelarch liner and what did you use to cut into the back of the headlight?

Any feedback on the light output from the standard reflector halogens? Has anyone fitted updated bulbs like night breakers?

I fitted a pair of Philips X-tremeVision +130% bulbs but am a little underwhelmed. The light output is noticeably whiter when looking at the headlights from outside the car but the output on the road is not particularly different. 

Here is a before and after shot:

BEFORE:

2015-12-24%2021.23.01.jpg

AFTER:

2015-12-24%2021.32.17.jpg

Edited by Pete T
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete. Fitted those lamps to my mk2 last week and as you say, whiter but not really much more use. Think I'll try Osrams on the new car then.

Yeah I think I'm going to get a pair of the Osrams for the dipped beam and move the Philips to main beam duties. The headlight bulbs are really easy to change by the way.

Have you done the DRL upgrade Juvehero? If so, did you manage without removing the wheelarch liner and what did you use to cut into the back of the headlight?

No, not yet. I keep putting if off as it seems to be a ballache of a job. Was hoping someone on here would take the plunge and do their's first so I could get some advice :p

I think it´s a shame that SIII does not have DE lenses lige S2 in the halogen versions. Reflector headlights looks cheap to me. The same goes for OIII. I found the extra Money and ordered xenon.

No, not yet. I keep putting if off as it seems to be a ballache of a job. Was hoping someone on here would take the plunge and do their's first so I could get some advice :p

It's been done already, take a look at this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/379864-se-and-se-business-drls/

It does look like a right faff!!