Rapid/Toledo or Octavia?

Has anyone driven or own a 1.2 TSi 105 or 110 on here?

I'm looking at this engine in a new Rapid/Toledo or Octavia, which is best?

I do low miles mainly urban with a few motorway jaunts now and again.

Anything else to watch for on the new Octavia? Water from the door drains, booming noise from the boot/hatch?

Thanks

Hi Rich,

I got a 1.2 tsi Octy SE for the same reasons as you and I'm delighted with it. My previous car was a 1.2 Fiesta and by comparison the Octy is much more powerful even in a much larger car. Drives more like a 1.8 IMO and only £30 tax a year instead of £140. Incredibly, the insurace is cheaper too. That said, I was given a 1.2 Rapid Sport as a courtesy car when mine was serviced. Didn't like it much at all. Very rattly when cold (actually thought it was a diesel when I started it). Maybe it had been thrashed a bit? Anyway, take a test drive and see for yourself.

Had the 1.2 in a Yeti for four years, my wife has it in a golf and I test drove it in octavia guise. Great engine, ideal for what you describe.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Try a Rapid before you buy-the ride is, how can I put this?

oh yes, "lively"

Both the Rapid and Toledo are bigish cars built down to a price, and the interiors and general refinement reflect this. The Octavia is more expensive but much more modern in appearance and "feel"

The 1.2 Tsi in 110 guise is an absolute peach of an engine

Edited by Bristolf2b

Sounds good cheers guys.

From what I read the Octavia is worth the extra.

Rapid/Toledo sound nasty and over priced.

How bad is this hatch rattle/boom?

Octavia is heavily Mk7 Golf based, Rapid/Toledo Mk4 (note not Mk5) Polo based.

Therein lies the rub. Octavia is the better car particularly at the used prices they now command.

Drove them today.

The Rapid was better than expected, perky engine, but you can tell its a budget car, bouncy ride, lots of road noise, and some cheap plastics, especially the door cards. Better as a nearly new buy I would think, they seem to depreciate down to £10k very quickly.

Octavia was a world apart, much smoother and quieter, better quality inside.

So I've ordered an Octavia 1.2 TSi 110 SE hatch, should have it in a few weeks.

• Like 2

Octavia is heavily Mk7 Golf based, Rapid/Toledo Mk4 (note not Mk5) Polo based.

Therein lies the rub. Octavia is the better car particularly at the used prices they now command.

The Rapid is built on a stretched version of the PQ25 platform used for the Polo Mk.5 and Audi A1. The Polo Mk.4 was based on the PQ24 platform, which it shared with the Seat Ibiza Mk.3 and the original Fabia.

Drove them today.

The Rapid was better than expected, perky engine, but you can tell its a budget car, bouncy ride, lots of road noise, and some cheap plastics, especially the door cards. Better as a nearly new buy I would think, they seem to depreciate down to £10k very quickly.

Octavia was a world apart, much smoother and quieter, better quality inside.

So I've ordered an Octavia 1.2 TSi 110 SE hatch, should have it in a few weeks.

If you're buying new and can afford it, the Octavia is probably the better choice. I was on a tight budget so I bought a one year old Rapid Spaceback ;) . Both will depreciate a fair but in the first year - I bought mine at a year old for forty percent less than the list price when new - but hopefully it will even out by the end of the third year  :sweat:

bigger cars are usually more comfy, than smaller cars

a year or so ago the rapid was way over priced, and at the same time skoda where discounting the superb

it was possible to go into a showroom and see the rapid and superb sitting side by side with the same price tag on the windscreen.

which one would you buy, if they where both the same price ?

and they wonder why the rapid wasn't selling